3DCoat Forums

importing multiple meshes for retopology

Lawless

Hello,

I am new to 3DCoat, but I love the retopology tools.

I usually open 3DCoat and under the first column I choose the folder option, and open an .obj. Then I grab the white box within the transform and drag to scale my mesh (larger) so I can see it. Then I go into the retopology room and experiment. Now I am comfortable enough to know I want to use 3DCoat for retopology before other programs.

I need the vox tree to create more complex topology. I have a body, a head, and a set of eyes that I have exported from Zbrush as three .obj files. How exactly do I import these into 3DCoat so they are in the vox tree? The way I am used to scales these out of proportion to each other. I need them to come in at a uniform size.

And lastly, this should be explained in the help manual a little better (if at all?). I have done a search on 'multiple meshes' and got nothing. I have read 'getting started' in the help manual with no luck. The start up screen does not explain things in a simple way.

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

• Contributor

Okay, no help.

Well after working for a while I figured it out myself.

I suppose I stumbled on a huge secret - so I'll keep it to myself like everyone else :)

I guess everyone went playing outside today,usually answers come within a day...

I dont know the answer either but I would have imported .obj "as reference mesh" instead of voxels if it is just for retopo.And object is not above 3 million polys.

No need to scale anything up.You can Hide/unhide unconnected parts with on click using Hide tool in Paint room. :)

I guess everyone went playing outside today,usually answers come within a day...

I dont know the answer either but I would have imported .obj "as reference mesh" instead of voxels if it is just for retopo.And object is not above 3 million polys.

No need to scale anything up.You can Hide/unhide unconnected parts with on click using Hide tool in Paint room. :)

Thanks, that seems to free resources.

The way I figured it, with voxels, is to import from the folder (startup voxel option) and pick one of my meshes, then universal scale up to a specific number (150), select close meshes and hit apply. Then add another branch on the voxel tree and with 'param' options still visible, select mesh, pick another .obj, apply. Repeat and rinse. Every mesh will pop in correctly. Then I can enter the retopo room and go at it.

Is there any way to pick a less bright shader when importing .obj "as reference mesh"?

Thanks very much,

Brandon

• Contributor

Is there any way to pick a less bright shader when importing .obj "as reference mesh"?

You need to tone the light down and rotate it a little,you will find comfort zone quickly. :)

The problem is the voxel room has half the lightness of Paint room.

I already requested them to have same lighting intensity...so it is surely gonna happen before end of time.

Voxel shaders on reference mesh would be also cool,we could use 3DC shader baking from ref instead of voxels...

Andrew has already much projects on plate for 3DC and this is not big big issue

You need to tone the light down and rotate it a little,you will find comfort zone quickly. :)

The problem is the voxel room has half the lightness of Paint room.

I already requested them to have same lighting intensity...so it is surely gonna happen before end of time.

Andrew has already much projects on plate for 3DC and this is not very a big issue.

Hmm, that makes sense. Zbrush is also quite dark, compared to mudbox anyway. It must have to do with

getting the right lighting to make the shaders look best, having to do with shadows to have sculpting contours

'pop'.

I would definitely want to paint with twice the lighting. I wish Zbrush could brighten up when pixel painting.

Anyway - toning down the light worked like a charm! Now I can see strokes.

Thanks again,

Brandon

• Contributor

I'm going to stick with the voxel importing method so I can see the retopo strokes.

If you play with light intensity and rotation you can get the shading as dark as you want on your ref mesh.

( :) Anyway,its good you are comfortable with voxel import,because it has much more polycount loading capacity than Ref meshes.)

My pleasure :)

Im a fan BTW :D

(please,please make a voxel character one day...there is not enough powerful showcases right now.)

Thank you very much. I am on a mac so 3D Coat is too slow if I increase the voxel resolution to anything useful.

The mac version doesn't have the power of the 64bit windows version. I can almost make a good bust, but when

I use curves to block out a body things get sluggish.

When I make a head and increase the resolution (only using the surface tools) things are not snappy. :unsure:

-Brandon