3DCoat Forums

Simple workflow

herve_bis

• Reputable Contributor

Hello

I sculpted an object in voxel mode, then I have retopo it, then I made some UV's...

Now what I need is simply to export a disp map for my retopo mesh.. that's it... any clue...?

Thanks.

hervé

When you export as an OBJ, you should have a number of options for which maps you will export with it. Displacement and Normal Maps are among them. This is a good thread perhaps to check out on the subject.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4976

• Advanced Member

When you export as an OBJ, you should have a number of options for which maps you will export with it. Displacement and Normal Maps are among them. This is a good thread perhaps to check out on the subject.

http://www.3d-coat.c...?showtopic=4976

I'm still waiting for a good answer on how to do this too - and the answer isn't on that other thread unfortunately. I would also like to know what the right export method would be - each one seems different and the results are mixed at best.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm still waiting for a good answer on how to do this too - and the answer isn't on that other thread unfortunately. I would also like to know what the right export method would be - each one seems different and the results are mixed at best.

Menu Bar>Texture>Export>Displacement Map of Current layer (or all visible layers)

Give that a shot and see if that is not what you're looking for

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks - will that pick up all the surface details, or do I also need a normal map?

b

It should, but you can also export the normal map when you export the object, and use that in conjunction with the displacement map. The displacement maps usually require some finessing in your renderer, as well as making sure to subdivide your model enough before rendering, that it will capture all the necessary detail.

• Advanced Member

hello.. thanks for your input....

well the export object is nice... but it just saying Bump... not displacement.. and there is no exr format to choose from.. so that means the map will be only 8 bits... not good..

I also tried the export to paint, but all I see is a normal map... why not a disp map..? I mean 3DC has all the info it need to make one...

anyway.. thanks a lot..

hervé

• Reputable Contributor

hello.. thanks for your input....

well the export object is nice... but it just saying Bump... not displacement.. and there is no exr format to choose from.. so that means the map will be only 8 bits... not good..

I also tried the export to paint, but all I see is a normal map... why not a disp map..? I mean 3DC has all the info it need to make one...

anyway.. thanks a lot..

hervé

I'm not sure why there isn't a displacement map checkbox when you export the model out...there is a normal map and that's all I've been exporting with, as it's less hassle and faster to render than displacement. But you can always do what I mentioned a few posts ago, and export a displacement map through the "Texture" menu. You can use the Texture baking tool to bake details to a normal or displacement map.

http://www.3d-coat.com/wiki/index.php/9.7_Textures

http://www.3d-coat.com/wiki/index.php/9.10_Texture_baking_tool