3DCoat Forums

Texture Painting Resolution

John

Hi People

Hope you can help, I am probably doing something daft but I have to ask anyway :)

When painting onto a poly mesh using a material which I have imported from a high res image, the results look ok from a distance, but zooming in a bit soon shows up pixelation. How do I get the texture to transfer at a higher res, to improve the detail close up.

The UV map is 4096x4096

John.

post-969-12777882965297_thumb.jpg

post-969-12777883080145_thumb.jpg

Are you working in per pixel mode or in microvertex mode? The UV set seems not to be right placed, too. If you are working in microvertex, you should increase the model resolution.

That one is in Per Pixel, but I have tried Microvertex as well, seems they both return similar results.

John

Could you show us the uv set, please?

This is really pp painting? Because it looks like vertex gouraud shading.

By the way: You should metion the program version you are working with.

Sadly I am at work now, so don't have access to the model. The UV Set is just an auto generated map made in 3D Coat, everything is nice and flat, even if it is fragmented into a lot of islands. The map is also packed fairtly well, the part top part I've painted on is a single island, taking up aproximately 1/4 of the map. So 1024x1024 of the total 4096x4096 map.

I am working in the latest release of 3D Coat 3.3, using the 64bit CUDA edition.

I tried your suggestion of upping the resolution in MicroVertex mode, which did improve things. However I simply can't get my head around the way 3DC transfers textures onto the model.

John

I've never seen this problem here on my machine. Really strange.

If you would send me the model, then I could take a look at it. Zip it and post it for download or send me a pm with the link.

Right ho, I'll have a look when I get home from work.

John