3DCoat Forums

Some probably basic questions

ekunzendorf

Hello All,

My name is Eric Kunzendorf, and I teach Animation at Jacksonville University. I am new to 3d Coat.

I am following Leigh Bamforth's head tutorial on Vimeo, and I am having a problem with Symmetry Planes. The original skull object I imported into 3DC as an obj which I exported from Poser (I know, I know...:S). When I activated the symmetry plane, it was off center, so I moved it to the centerline of the model. The problem is that whenever I use the copy brush, the voxels copied are slightly off center. Furthermore, I used the Sphere brush to do the eyeballs and they were WAY off center.

Now, when I try to adjust the symmetry plane on the skull layer, then adjust symmetry on the eyelid layer, the original skull symmetry plane snaps back to where it was originally. When I put the skull layer plane in place, it snaps the eyelid plane back to where it was previously.

Also, somehow, I have lost the tool list down the left side of the window. I keep having to use the spacebar and pin the palette. How can I bring back the tool list? I have tried to reset the interface, but it won't bring it back. Am I doing something wrong?

Finally, it is sometimes common to delete prefs in other apps. Is there a way to do this manually on OS X?

Thank you in advance, and have a great day!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

• Reputable Contributor

Hello All,

My name is Eric Kunzendorf, and I teach Animation at Jacksonville University. I am new to 3d Coat.

I am following Leigh Bamforth's head tutorial on Vimeo, and I am having a problem with Symmetry Planes. The original skull object I imported into 3DC as an obj which I exported from Poser (I know, I know...:S). When I activated the symmetry plane, it was off center, so I moved it to the centerline of the model. The problem is that whenever I use the copy brush, the voxels copied are slightly off center. Furthermore, I used the Sphere brush to do the eyeballs and they were WAY off center.

Now, when I try to adjust the symmetry plane on the skull layer, then adjust symmetry on the eyelid layer, the original skull symmetry plane snaps back to where it was originally. When I put the skull layer plane in place, it snaps the eyelid plane back to where it was previously.

Also, somehow, I have lost the tool list down the left side of the window. I keep having to use the spacebar and pin the palette. How can I bring back the tool list? I have tried to reset the interface, but it won't bring it back. Am I doing something wrong?

Finally, it is sometimes common to delete prefs in other apps. Is there a way to do this manually on OS X?

Thank you in advance, and have a great day!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

It's hard to tell exactly why the symmetry started out off-center. Try this...right click on the voxel layer you're working on, and click "To Global Space." That usually will do the trick. You can hit the "S" key to bring up the Symmetry options popup, and click "Reset Symmetry Plane."

Another trick/workaround I do when the gizmo is not centered on the object, is with the layer selected click "space density copy" icon at the bottom of the Vox Tree panel. Then, holding the shift key down (to merge to another layer)drag the original layer to the newly created one. That will usually get the gizmo and symmetry plane lined up. There was supposed to be some work done on it in this recent build (just released today, Andrew said Mac and Linux would be available soon). It doesn't happen often, but when I do have symmetry plane issues, I try going through those steps.

Make sure to go to the 3.3 updates thread and download the latest build from the first page in the thread (if you haven't already done so). As for the toolbar on the left hand side, you will see a small arrow at the lower left, that toggles the visibility of that toolbar. There should be something in the "View" or "Windows" menu that restores it as well.

Both worked! That is a REALLY tiny arrow! :) The "To Global Space" command worked, but I'll file the second just in case. BTW, I think you and I met at Siggraph at the 3D Coat booth.

But I have another problem, the Copy brush doesn't work anymore. It is giving me one brush stamp and then nothing. Usually placed in the center of the view. Symmetry doesn't matter. Any ideas for why this is happening? I am working on a Mac on my laptop with only two gigs of Ram. So memory might be an issue. Anyway, thanks and have great day!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

• Reputable Contributor

Both worked! That is a REALLY tiny arrow! :) The "To Global Space" command worked, but I'll file the second just in case. BTW, I think you and I met at Siggraph at the 3D Coat booth.

But I have another problem, the Copy brush doesn't work anymore. It is giving me one brush stamp and then nothing. Usually placed in the center of the view. Symmetry doesn't matter. Any ideas for why this is happening? I am working on a Mac on my laptop with only two gigs of Ram. So memory might be an issue. Anyway, thanks and have great day!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

Yeah....things bog down when memory runs low. When you hit the E Key (brings up the E-panel...same as if you hover over the pen in the upper left hand part of the screen), make sure to have one of the first few brushes selected, because what you really are doing is painting an area you want to copy...some of the other brush modes don't work (I wish we could use the freeform tool or splines to select areas we want). I need to ask Andrew about enabling those, soon.

Yes, I think I remember speaking with you at the show. Good to see you participating here on the forum.