3DCoat Forums

subdivide selected polygons?

Klane

That's assuming it was retopologized in the first place. I don't think I know of any way to do it in the painting room. You can go to Edit > Mesh & Texture resolution, but that will only make it look smoother or rougher, not actually change the poly count. (You can tell by hitting 4 for Wireframe mode)

I see ... thank you both.

Yeah, I ended up subdividing the area I needed more detail in, in Lightwave.

I know I am probably doing things a little ass backwards and should be using the retopo tools, but I don't know how to get a pre-existing UV onto a retopo object.

I went through all the retopo video's but don't remember seeing anything about transferring a UV. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Klnae

Hi,

Your rite, I have a mesh that's working but I still need to sculpt a bit too. The ability to uprez or downrez an area within 3dc would be great.

As it is, I'm uprezzing the parts I need more fidelity in from LW. It works, but bouncing back and forth between lw and 3dc is a bit of a hassle.

What I'm doing is adding detail to a pre-existing terrain that's based off a real world elevation map and a hi-def photo. I need to be able to see the image part of the terrain while I sculpt, paint or displace.

What I was hoping I could do was select the spots I wanted to add detail to, and add subdivisions to those specific areas within 3dc.

At the same time, the idea of doing a retopo is really appealing to, because of the control over the mesh it gives you. But that approach wont work for me if I lose my pre-existing UV to paint and sculpt on top of.

The same is true with converting to a voxel or importing for ptex. I need to retain that original image map and as yet I haven't seen any way to keep the UV in either ptex or voxel mode.

I'm starting to get some results I really like though. Just cant help but wonder if I'm coming at this from the best angle.