3DCoat Forums

Exporting Displacement from 3DCoat to Maya

ekunzendorf

Hello all!

Greg Smith asked me to post a short tutorial when I got displacement for Maya worked out. Well, it would have been a LOOONNGGG tutorial, so I made a video. It is on vimeo here:

The video is about 19 minutes, but it gives my take on the process. It spends a good deal of time in Maya because, frankly, the process in 3D Coat is quick and relatively painless. Not so much in Maya. Anyway, please let me know what you think; and for heaven's sake, if there is a better way of doing this, speak up! :)

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

users.ju.edu/ekunzen

• Reputable Contributor

Hello all!

Greg Smith asked me to post a short tutorial when I got displacement for Maya worked out. Well, it would have been a LOOONNGGG tutorial, so I made a video. It is on vimeo here:

The video is about 19 minutes, but it gives my take on the process. It spends a good deal of time in Maya because, frankly, the process in 3D Coat is quick and relatively painless. Not so much in Maya. Anyway, please let me know what you think; and for heaven's sake, if there is a better way of doing this, speak up! :)

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

users.ju.edu/ekunzen

Very helpful tips there...I'm sure you'll have fun doing another one for the Maya/3DC Applink. :D

The one for Max is pretty nice, with a dialogue box and a number of choices.

Yeah, definitely. But isn't that 3.5? We are still on 3.3 until the winter break when I can upgrade. Anyway, it had more to do with Maya displacement rather than 3D Coat which is SO easy to export. I wished Mudbox was that easy and successful on the Mac.

Question: when I export the carcass mesh, is there any advantage to using a higher rez mesh? I used the lowest setting for speed purposes. It seemed to work, but I wasn't sure if I was losing anything.

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, definitely. But isn't that 3.5? We are still on 3.3 until the winter break when I can upgrade. Anyway, it had more to do with Maya displacement rather than 3D Coat which is SO easy to export. I wished Mudbox was that easy and successful on the Mac.

Question: when I export the carcass mesh, is there any advantage to using a higher rez mesh? I used the lowest setting for speed purposes. It seemed to work, but I wasn't sure if I was losing anything.

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University.

Yeah...getting software updated at academic institutions nearly require an act of Congress. As for higher res carcasses...I don't see the benefit either. Andrew implemented some "coarsing" export features recently, but I've not used yet. Not sure if that would help you in this case or not.