3DCoat Forums

Crisp model edges in per-pixel mode?

b33nine

• Advanced Member

I'm curious if there is a way to get the crisp edges you see in microvertex mode in ppp mode? Using the wireframe helps, but it still doesn't clearly mark where the form turns abruptly for me. I'm providing an image to show the difference between the two. Hoping someone knows how/if it's possible to get a crisper image from per-pixel.

post-2104-12924404019785_thumb.png

Right now, the safest and best way to import external models for texturing is through the "wizard" which is the dialog you see when you first launch 3D-Coat. When you select either per-pixel or micro-vertex methods of importing, (through this wizard), you will see parameters appear in one of 2 additional dialogs:

1) "Initial subdivision" is the number that allows you to apply "virtual" resolution to your imported model, using the per-pixel method. Try various settings until you see the crispness that you need.

2) "Millions of polygons", as well as "Carcass resolution" are the 2 fields that allow you to add more "virtual" resolution in the micro-vertex mode. Experiment with these, as well.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

I'm not really sure why the mesh I'm working on would matter for the issue at hand, and for what it's worth I've shown about as much of it as I can in the first post. What I want is to have the model show similar to the microvertex view in per pixel mode. I can subdivide the model in the dialog box when importing for per-pixel, but when I do it automatically smooths the model, and as I mentioned I don't see an option to subdivide without smoothing in per-pixel mode. Quite frankly, I'm not terribly keen on subdividing at all since it eats up unnecessary resources.

What I want is an option to turn off the soft shading in per pixel paint mode, but it seems that it's not possible for some reason. When I import the model into zbrush I get crisp edges at level 1, and when I import it into microvertex mode I get crisp edges. When I import to per-pixel the only option I have is a soft shaded model that is hard to tell how the forms turn. I can subdivide the model to get better visibility of the form, but not without smoothing it, and that gives me a model that isn't accurate to what I need for a final output. There are work-arounds, but I'd rather not work on a model that is far denser than it needs to be.

I apologize if this post comes off as rude, I don't mean it to be but I'm getting rather frustrated with it today for some reason moreso than in the past. I think working on something geomatric/mechanical in nature really highlights this flaw for me.

• Reputable Contributor

Choose Auto Smoothing Groups when importing for per-pixel and set the number to "0" if you want no smoothing at all. default 30% will smooth out the polygon facets but should leave the sharp edges but you would have to test your model to be sure it does it well enough for what you are trying to accomplish. (it's toward the bottom of the list in the import dialog box)

Picture included of the default helmet imported for per-pixel painting with Auto Smoothing Groups set to 30% on the left and 0% on the right

This should help you some...

post-518-12924767906051_thumb.jpeg

• Reputable Contributor

Here is another picture of a hard surface model at 30% (auto smoothing groups) for per-pixel painting...

You were just frustrated not rude, Greg is right though, a picture of your import settings for both PPP and MV does help in figuring out problems of importing files... I hope the information I gave you is good for your model...

post-518-12924778626641_thumb.jpeg

• Reputable Contributor

The uv map is not changed. Since I do not quite know your workflow or what ways you have painted the model so far, That question is hard to answer.

You can try this:

Export the texture maps that you have made so far in your current 3DCoat file of the model.

Close that 3DCoat file.

Now load the "original model obj file with the same uv map" for per-pixel painting using the auto smoothing groups.

Import the textures...

See how they apply, might be some touch up, worth a go at it...

• Reputable Contributor

You can export layers and then import them, That is one reason to be more specific in your workflow statements, You did not address the layer issue. Not a problem but give all information that is needed, it really helps...

Here is what you do.

Paint room /Textures/ Export /Export Layers with depth,color,specular information.

The uvs need to be the same for the model, which they are in your case.

Turn on Tool tips to to read the yellow information box that appears next to the layers with depth etc, etc to see how it saves the layers...

Follow the above for importing but choose importing vs.exporting and select import Layers with depth,color,specular information