3DCoat Forums

Export Normal Map after Retopo and UV mapping

Adivaki

Hi,

I've create an objet with some details in voxel sculpting, retopo it and got an UV map.

I've exported the low poly mesh (Retopo -> Export).

But what I'de like now it's to get all the details back from Hi res as Normal Map or Bump map. Because I don't want to texture in 3DC.

I mean I'de like to know the process to use the low poly in blender with the High Poly details as displace map.

I tried to do File->Export->Export Model. The menu asks me iF I'de like a lowpoly mesh (I've got one from retopo yet ! but I think it fits for the Painting or Sculpt mode).

Then in the same window, I can select NM or Bump Map.

But when I use the map in blender it doesn't work.

Shall I use Retopo->Merge with NM and hit "bake local occlusion". And after use File->export ?

I watched this video but I need the step before :

I think I made something wrong in the workflow.

Thank

• Advanced Member

Sculpt in voxels room

do retopo and UVs,

Bake for MV only

Export low or higher mesh as you like, the lower in your case.

The default displace_map options are perfect for blender, grey is neutral

normal maps will be fine

Use subsurf and displacement modifiers in blender, the default settings work fine. 3-5 subs may needed.

I suggest you to use 2-3 subs for displacement and a normal map for details (default setting again, nor value ~2-4.

abnormal solution LOL

Export the low poly mesh from retopo room (no UVs needed now, you may like to construct them in blender)

Export a decimated (~500k poly) from vox layers palette. Use -export scene ONLY option

Import the two meshes in blender, same position, dont touch anything. Use the shrink wrap + multi subdivided modifiers to re project details. Delete the tri decimated mesh, do some sculpt editing (smooth tool). you have multires mesh, the real thing. Similar to zbrush technique.

Unfortunately blender can't reconstruct subs (or it can?)

Zbrush can, so I just export a high density quad mesh from MV and reconstruct subs.

These posts are older, I used 2.49b, now everything works in 2.5.6, I think so lol

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=193861

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=186059&page=3

An advice:

If blender SSS you have in mind, avoid to bake AO in 3DC. You don't need it. Blender is better on this anyway.

• Advanced Member

So, where is the problem? I still don't understand what's wrong here.

You asked baking under topology menu, yes?, MV is fine, PPP also. 3dc transfers you to paint room. OK, now, just export under file menu. Default settings, say OK everywhere. If MV is the case, select to export the low density mesh.

Hi Michalis,

Thanks for the reply,

You don't understand "what's wrong" because you're not a "newbie" and some aspects are obvious for you ! That's it !

I'de like to get a bit more details if you don't mind. Am I in "New Users" room or not ?

I remind you that you had some difficulties with this as well :

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7195&view=findpost&p=54705

"Bake for MV only" it's a bit strange for a newbie.

As in Retopo menu there's "Bake texture" and not "Bake for MV".

So I do understand "Merge" and "baking" are same. I read the manual too :

http://www.3d-coat.com/wiki/index.php/5.4_Retopo_Menu_%26_Tool_Bar

Then in merge (microvert) you've got 3 options : Merge into scene (microverts),Merge hull (microverts), Merge patch (microverts).

I supposed "Bake for MV only" meant the first choice for you (not obvious for me !)

Then a window appears (see the pic) :

Shall I leave everything as default ?

Millions of polygon ?

Carcass resolution ?

what are they influence ?

After in paint room it's ok.

I hope you do understand the problem now !

Please make a short video Tuto and you'll get no prob anymore.

post-4727-12951805743409_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

My english don't help me, please don't misunderstand my expressions, sorry for this...

OK then

1. I also had problems with exporting displacement maps. MV is the only way, Andrew suggested so, some tutorials confused me thats all. MV then, you may noticed in the same thread how beautifully displacement map worked in blender (default settings in modifier)

2. this palette capture seems to be OK. (Two parameters are important here, the first (4M) is OK for the last 2048x2048 maps. For 4096x maps you need more than 4M, OK it isn't practical.)

You're right though, the UI of 3dcoat isn't the best. Too 'dark' IMO.

• Advanced Member

I just purchased the '3D Coat 3.5 for Lightwave Users- Normal & Displacment Maps' for $10 from this link

http://www.learn3dsoftware.com/10_dollar_video_special.htm

Looks like it was created Dec 20th 2010, so it's very recent. Apparently the process is the same for other apps.

I'm certainly hoping this will explain a lot. It's a bit long (> 5 hours), but I believe I can skip past the chapters on microvertex painting, and get the basics outlined, and then watch all the details in the middle later.

Am currently downloading '3D Coat 3.5 for Lightwave Users-UV Mapping', also for $10, which is a lot shorter (which I'd prefer) - which seems to be a companion to the 'Normal & Displacment Maps' video and uses the same model.

Hope this might help you.

Hi,

I've bought this video training yet.

'3D Coat 3.5 for Lightwave Users- Normal & Displacment Maps'

That's great. But not what I'de like.

In this video the low poly objet has been modelled in Lightwave and after Adam brings it backs in 3DC to fine tune the skin details. Then he exports Normal & Displacment Maps in Lightwave and use them as "modifier" on the low poly mesh.

In my case. I sculpt an high detailed objet in voxel room. Then :

1) Retopo and uv map it, to get a low poly objet to export.

2) I'de like to get the high detailed shape from the voxel sculpt as Normal & Displacment Maps to export as well.

The down side of "merge MV" : that 's subdivide again the retopo mesh !