3DCoat Forums

Laser scanning + 3D Coat + 5 axis CNC carving project

Routb3d

• Advanced Member

Here is a project I'm working on for one of my clients..

We received a large Vocanic stone that a client purchased to be included in a water feature. The water feature will be installed in an upscale condominium in Seattle WA US. In order for the Stone to fit into the feature the designers have requested that we modify the stone in a way that looks natural..

The process..

1. Laser scan the stone and generate a 3D mesh virtual replica.

2. Virtually Chop a big section off of the stone and sculpt natural detail in its place. < 3DC all of the way :)

3. Animate a 5 axis stone carving CNC machine to precisely chop and and carve the sculpted section into the actual stone.. We use Diamond coated saws and grinding wheels for this..

4. Hand finishers will distress the stone to give it a higher detail weathered look..

I used a Faro arm with a laser scanner attachment.. Geomagic helped me process the scan data.. I used 3DC to chop, sculpt and render..

I have included some pictures of the process and equipment used.. Stay tuned and Ill post the final results..

Here is a link to a video of the machine Ill be programming to carve the stone..

Thanks,

Isaiah

post-1321-12979802148141_thumb.jpg

post-1321-12979802505618_thumb.jpg

post-1321-12979802801446_thumb.jpg

post-1321-12979803842516_thumb.jpg

post-1321-12979804035973_thumb.jpg