3DCoat Forums

Uncharted 2 using Sketchup

Gilded

• Advanced Member

It's very pleasant to work with, but you often have to fix/optimize the exported models. It's best to be used to draft ideas quickly but you still need a another package to make your models ready for in-game use.

Truespace had also some similar outstanding modelling features. Sad they let it rot.

• Advanced Member

@Gilded

There're some external fantastic plugins for SU. As SU has one of the best UIs around. Really a pleasure.

Unfortunately it produces bad topology, except you know what to do. There's a really useful free ruby plugin there "remove inner faces". This and having faces-normals facing out (no blue color like the one on your link, he he they are already in trouble there)

these then, are important to import the mesh to 3dcoat. And of course the mesh has to be waterproof (no holes-opened) so to have a decent voxel mesh. I use blender 2.49b to clean these SU meshes.

The free version of SU (this we're talking about of course) has a limitation on exporting. No obj (great google), collada 1.4 only. Its OK for blender (just delete doubled vertices and export as obj). Then it will be lovely to work on 3dcoat. Painting and UVs mostly but voxelizing as well.

But its the best app for archi design, whatever some others claiming. A full huge building with precision and details in half an hour. The right app for the job. Just try to do the same thing with blender, just try. I have lol.

Excellent documented, great tutorials from google.

Here, an old project, from the days I didn't know about 3dcoat or even zbrush and blender. Here I started to think about baking and painting textures, then I learned that great apps exist. I learned it by myself but I did this with SU only. The "gallery".

wow I'm surprised that was done in SU. I really don't know too much about it but I've heard that it is really fast and efficient for building objects. I'll have to look into the "messy" aspect of the meshes of course but in the end I'm sure I could save a lot of time laying everything out with SU and exporting to 3dc.

• Advanced Member

Oh thanks, I actually won second price on a contest (an Ipod touch) with this LOL.

I have to say, I spent lot of time to figure out how to export (and clean) meshes from SU. Just construct a wall with an arc opening. You'll get a useless and problematic topology. Have in mind that lot of archi presentation designers and vray users, still wondering about ugly artifacts after using displacement maps. You may guess why its happening as displ subdivides the mesh. Only stretched tris there, lot of them. Its an old issue anyway. And these are some nice solutions.