3DCoat Forums

Messiah Studio first bones

digman

• Reputable Contributor

I been messing around with Messiah and going Ok, where is this, where is that... :blink:

I put some bones (all FK bones at the moment) in this sea mammal, not really a rig but getting idea of how Messiah works. Coping bones to the other side of your symmetry plane is painless. :drinks:

Oh yeah, I have not named the bones yet...

The fog of a using a new program is lifting a little...

post-518-0-06145600-1298690131_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Just finished up on a website project, so now I have time to try Messiah out too. Yeah! :)

Looks like you're finding your way around o.k. to me. How did it deform for you?

I'm used to lightwave bones, but have never been in love with CA in Lightwave. Hope to find more joy in Messiah.

Greg

• Advanced Member

I been messing around with Messiah and going Ok, where is this, where is that... :blink:

I put some bones (all FK bones at the moment) in this sea mammal, not really a rig but getting idea of how Messiah works. Coping bones to the other side of your symmetry plane is painless. :drinks:

Oh yeah, I have not named the bones yet...

The fog of a using a new program is lifting a little...

gnarly :)

• Reputable Contributor

The bones seem to deform the mesh nicely, The auto influence works well but is not perfect as is the case for most animation programs. I'm just touching the surface of the bone system. Messiah has what they call a modular bone system. You can do weight painting in Messiah but they said MetaEffectors and Expressions are the best route to go for reuseable rigs. So I will be on the learning highway.

Once I found the location of adding your bones and adjusting the area of influence it is very straight forward. There is no need to attach the bones to the mesh as it is done automatically under SetUp. Simply click the animate tab and you are good to go. Ik is easy to setup too. They also have lots of ways to add controls for your mesh. Some of the ways of control remind me of Animation Master. I dabbled in animation but I would not call myself an experienced animation artist...

A user put this PDF together for us newbies of Messiah.

Messiah 3D Bible (It's from the docs but helps to have it in PDF format)

http://setuptab.com/index.php?board=3.20

That is the page it's on but could be bump down to another page as time goes on unless they make it a sticky...

P.S Thought I throw in this from the docs about MetaEffectors. Great for creating bulging muscles,facial expressions etc...

"This is where you make adjustments to how the Effector will affect the items it influences. What Are MetaEffectors ? MetaEffectors

are a general purpose "Weight Tool". By general purpose I mean that they can be used with a variety of different effects and shaders

in many different ways. They're kind of like meta balls except that they don't represent geometry, however the fields are created by

adding spherical and ellipsoidal effectors that blend together to form the complete field."

Another way of animating too.

The picture here shows how you can use flexmotion to animate a worm type creature's body and only use bones for it's head. I'm in the drawmode where it shows the area of influence of each flex point and bones.

From the sample's folder. wormler_01.fxs

post-518-0-38350400-1298748114_thumb.jpg

I just got Messiah a few days ago myself, and have been playing around with the t-rex and butch rig at the moment. That worm rig your working on looks quite fun to animate, I'll have to keep an eye on this thread, lots of cool things you are testing out.

Keep up the good work.