3DCoat Forums

Cuda Proformance and Drivers

brook

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of setting up 3dcoat3.5 on a new win7-64bit workstation. which drivers are you using? It seems there is a new Cuda driver and toolkit on nvidia site. The last install I did was 3.3 and I installed the cuda version. but 3.5 is probably using a newer version but there is no info on this at the download section. I am also wondering if the cuda version is still under development.

any help or driver recommendations would be great.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of setting up 3dcoat3.5 on a new win7-64bit workstation. which drivers are you using? It seems there is a new Cuda driver and toolkit on nvidia site. The last install I did was 3.3 and I installed the cuda version. but 3.5 is probably using a newer version but there is no info on this at the download section. I am also wondering if the cuda version is still under development.

any help or driver recommendations would be great.

Andrew rebuilt the brush engine, application wide, late last year and said (when he finished the work in the Voxel Volume mode) that CUDA works, but he didn't optimize yet. That is on the "To-Do" list, but I think he may be waiting until they nail down the work he and Raul are doing with LiveClay (dynamic subdivision implementation), first. That is slated to work not only in Surface mode, but Voxel Volume as well. That's a major step forward, and I would hold off on any CUDA work too, as you may well have to do the work twice.

Supposedly the CUDA toolkit is installed with each new build of 3DC...but I don't know if it's still like 2.3 or 3.x. Maybe Andrew can answer that. I thought he mentioned that he hasn't updated the CUDA implementation in 3DC since it was first introduced. We'll see how that goes...

I was poking around a bit and I see that cuda is still recommended for capable graphics cards in the online docs. so I am guessing that there is still some performance gain with the cuda version or else the docs would be taken down. but I still can't find any recommendation on the drivers to use. from what I remember from 3.3 there was a specific version for the cuda driver and cuda toolkit That was posted on the site or maybe in the forums somewhere. can someone chime in here with what your useing? I see the current version at nvidia is 3.2 released in January. but Andrew might be targeting an older version which I think was the case last time. I am planning on installing 3.5.0 first so I have a stable install then maybe play around with the beta's. but I am planning on doing quite a lot of work so stability is first.

I will post this here in case anyone is looking for the same answers.

this is what I have received from 3dCoat support.

is cuda faster in 3.5?

"CUDA version is faster, but videocard should have at least 64 CUDA cores.

GL version is faster than DX using latest drivers on GeForce 4 series and Quadro cards."

which cuda drivers?

"You just need to install latest regular drivers."

it is much simpiler for 3.5 it seems. just install the latest driver and your set.