3DCoat Forums

draw straight line in Pose tool?

3dCoatWannabe

• Reputable Contributor

1. Is there a way to draw a straight line in Pose while in 'line' mode?

2. Is there a way to draw the line starting centered on the X axis on the face of a cube.

Thanks!

In general, throughout the application, when you are using the pen and need to make a straight line (in 45-90 degree increments) you left mouse click, then hold down the SHIFT key while you drag the cursor (much the same way as it's used in Photoshop) it will be constrained to a straight line. I haven't tried it with the pose tool (select with pen mode should work)

• Advanced Member

In general, throughout the application, when you are using the pen and need to make a straight line (in 45-90 degree increments) you left mouse click, then hold down the SHIFT key while you drag the cursor (much the same way as it's used in Photoshop) it will be constrained to a straight line. I haven't tried it with the pose tool (select with pen mode should work)

I wasn't clear in what I wanted to accomplish.

I'd like to be able to use the 'Line' mode of Pose to be able to draw a line that is straight but goes along the y axis (up/down perpendicular to the x) to draw a gradient.

If I use the 'Line' mode, click and drag a line, I'll get a nice gradient, but it won't be exactly perpendicular, so the Pose tool's effects will not be 'perfect'.

If I click and then use the Shift key (I was shifting, and then clicking, which is of course wrong, Thanks!), I'll get a perfectly straight line that is perpendicular, but ... I don't get a gradient, it is solid red, just as if I'd used a rectangle to select the area.

I saw the 'select with pen' demonstrated in the 3D Coat videos, but it was used for painting on a gradient and doesn't seem to respect the shift key like the 'Line' mode does.

switch to orthographic mode-go to view-Grid 2d mode-center cube with grid.

I follow you up until 'center cube with grid'. Do you mean center it by hand? Is there a center command? I searched the PDF for one.