3DCoat Forums

select polys with >4 vertices in retopo?

3dCoatWannabe

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to select polys with greater than 4 vertices in the retopo room?

This could come in quite handy for fixing issues?

It would also be handy to be able to select:

1 vertices

2 vertices

3 vertices

4 vertices

>4 vertices

An interface like the following works well in Lightwave:

post-2274-0-43171600-1303240381_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

Look under the Retopo menu and you'll find Select faces. Like so:

2011-04-19_2135.png

In 3D-Coat there are no polygons with 1 or 2 vertices / points.

I used your technique, and can see the ngons that are highlighted in these images.

I know that there are some points where the ngons join together that are very slightly off (from fixing the problem in Lightwave). In Lightwave, I believe I merged the points together as there should really be a single point where the polys join.

What is the best way to fix this in 3D Coat?

BTW - in this case, I could find them easily. Is there a way to make the selection centered and visible if they are hidden somewhere?

post-2274-0-86355000-1303535556_thumb.pn

post-2274-0-77141600-1303535582_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to focus on the selection. It's a little convoluted but you could export the mesh from Retopo, open it in LightWave and fix the problem, then load it back into Retopo.

As long as I don't lose anything in the process, that's ok, but ... maybe 3D Coat needs a few of the basic tools for repairing ngon issues?

1. What will that do to the UV map that has been created for the head I'm working on? I understand that UV maps have a one to one correspondence with points in the mesh. How do I then 'fix' the UV map (as there will be less points), or must I re-create it from scratch? It is for a head, so some work went in to it.

2. On a somewhat related question, if I have a mesh that does NOT have a UV, could I just import it into the Reotop room, and then setup a UV map for it? Would that be the way I'd start the process? I haven't created a UV in 3D Coat before.

It's one thing to say in the manual:

The UV tools for the Retopo room have been expanded to include

every UV tool from the UV room in 3D-Coat. You can find infor-

mation on each of the UV tools inside the Retopo room in the

UV section of this manual.

And yet another to give a workflow where I'd know which UV tools to use (from Retopo room, from UV room) and where to start the process of creating a UV for my mesh?

3D Coat obviously has the power to do all of this, but sometimes for a new user, it's a bit confusing to know where to start, the workflow to move from one room to the next (or use the same tools in two rooms like Retopo and UV rooms).

Thanks!