3DCoat Forums

How do you Auto-seam only part of a mesh?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

I want to manually set up the seams on the head of a character and have that take up say 50% of the uv map scale-wise and have 3DCoat create auto seams for the body and pack them in the remaining space. How do I go about doing this? it seems I can only make everything manual seams or auto seams (which are kind of yucky on the face of the character when I let it do it).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Yes, learn to use loop guides, a little tricky to give you great results, I love it.

Learn to manually set up seams, it's the easy part, 2-3 shortcuts thats all. Learn to edit the UV islands, easy and lovely. Excellent results spending ~10 more mins.

IMO auto seams - unwrapping is terrible. The best auto UV tool is the zb UV master though a little tricky again.

Do this manually!

• Advanced Member

Yes, learn to use loop guides, a little tricky to give you great results, I love it.

Learn to manually set up seams, it's the easy part, 2-3 shortcuts thats all. Learn to edit the UV islands, easy and lovely. Excellent results spending ~10 more mins.

IMO auto seams - unwrapping is terrible. The best auto UV tool is the zb UV master though a little tricky again.

Do this manually!

Thanks for the tips! I'll spend more time with manual stuff and look into loop guides