3DCoat Forums

shapeways export x3D

spacepainter

• Advanced Member

Process outline

Uploading a file with texture maps requires a few steps. I'll outline them first, and then go into detail

for each one of them:

In your 3D application, create a texture map.

Export your model to VRML97 or X3D.

Create a .zip archive of the exported model, and all the texture map images.

Upload the archive.

• 1 month later...

hi Spacepainter,

I've read that process on Shapeways' site, but I can't seem to figure out how to get an acceptable saving from 3d coat.

I thought if I saved it as an .obj that would take care of it. Then I open it in accutrans to convert it to a VRML 2.0 or .x3d, but I still get an error message on shapeway's site saying, "Invalid input file format". (I zipped it and included the zipped texture file) Shapeways can't seem to help me. I really like 3d coat and don't want to go with another program for voxel-sculpting OR painting on the texture. But although these textured files I create opn fine in accutrans, they won't even open in meshlab. I think maybe somehow I'm not sufficiently "attaching" the textures to the models or something(?) Have you successfully created and saved a textured model in 3dc, then successfully uploaded it to shapeways?

I've been emailing the Accutrans author and the service people at shapeways, but noone can seem to help. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...