3DCoat Forums

How do I save?? (to then open in Meshlab)

Chloe99

Hi,

(3D Coat is AWESOME!!!!!! Marvelous, wonderful, inspiring, powerful, a bargain at any price, simply beautiful.)

Having said that, let me please share where i am getting stuck. I often "Import model for per pixel painting", I paint and export it, usually as an .obj. I can thereafter open it fine in Accutrans for example, but when I try to open it with Meshlab I get the attached error message. Any idea why I can't successfully open pixel-painted, exported-from-3D-Coat, textured models in Meshlab??

Gratefully Yours,

Meester C

post-6850-0-54343400-1314661135_thumb.jp

• Contributor

You don't need to 'export' a model, you can use the one you imported as the UVs are the same. All you need do is export the textures which will fit the original model. If the original wont import to Meshlab, you have a problem not of 3DC's making.

Master Tony,

here's the thing, I start with an untextured .stl mesh. then I file > "import model for per pixel painting". Then I color it in 3D Coat by brushing and projecting some images from PhotoShop. If I'm importing an uncolored .stl does it have UVs naturally? I'm just wanting a VRML 2.0 or .x3d so I can get something printed by Shapeways. I'm not sure what the best file format would be to save in 3d coat would be. I am doing .obj since it retains the textures. Then I can use accutrans or meshlab to convert it to a VRML 2.0 or .x3d. (By the way the original .stl is totally waterproof and so on.) But Shapeways and meshlab send back error messages when I try to open the same file after I've colored it with per-pixel painting in 3d Coat. Accutrans seems to think the files are fine.

When it comes to sculpting, voxels in 3D Coat are my favorite tool. When it comes to coloring 3d models, per-pixel painting is the easiest and most fun tool to use. But I don't know why I can't seem to simply save a painted-in-3d Coat model in such a way that I can get it printed by Shapeways. It is not the fault with the mesh, Shapeways can print these exact meshes in a colorless material for me.

My working theory is that whatever is disallowing the textured .obj files from successfully opening in Meshlab is what is causing the Shapeways bottleneck. An imported, colorless .stl file, then painted in 3d Coat, how do I simply save it in 3d Coat in a way that will be accepted by Meshlab/Shapeways?

• Contributor

I'm not familiar with the .stl format. Presumably, with polygons there are UVs. There are folks in these forums that use Shapeways (at least, I have seen references to them). Can you texture the .stl file (using the textures created in 3DC) in the app in which it was created? If the .stl file gives no problems, then this is how you should proceed. BTW, I'm a "Jack of all trades, master of none".