3DCoat Forums

varied results from baked occlusion

Klane

Hi,

I get varied results out of the baked occlusion when I merge from retopo to NM (per-pixel). On the same model there are times when the occlusion is very pronounced and other times when it comes out barely noticeable. I'm still fairly new at 3dc so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Is there something adjustable that drives the result of the baked occlusion?

Thanks!

Kevin

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

I get varied results out of the baked occlusion when I merge from retopo to NM (per-pixel). On the same model there are times when the occlusion is very pronounced and other times when it comes out barely noticeable. I'm still fairly new at 3dc so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Is there something adjustable that drives the result of the baked occlusion?

Thanks!

Kevin

I'm having baking issues period. Seems multiple UV maps cause 3D Coat a lot of problems. Right now it's wiping out all of my other UV maps when I hit Unwrap, Update Islands, etc. Can't recommend 3D Coat for baking anything out currently. It's an absolute mess, to the point that I'm going to have to export all the voxel (high-res) meshes and the retopo meshes and bake everything in a separate application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wImEKk6cSXQ

I think I was doing the same thing, and sorry if Im way off here, but at no time in your video did I see you select islands and tell them to be moved into the new UV set. That's what I was doing at least, just yesterday in fact.

As soon as I selected the islands I wanted and told them to move into the new uv set, I was fine.

I'm at a disadvantage from a lot of you though, that have more experience with 3DC. I never know what might be a problem with the software and what is me just getting something wrong.

What I've had to do is just mess around till I got something I liked. Which is fine, except that I would much rather know how to reproduce good results than just be guessing.

What's happening now for me, and again, I don't know if it's me or the software, is that I'm getting a lightness difference on either side of my map. The example I'm including shows a section of the tail of my creature. It's very much lighter on one side than the other. But I don't know how or where to change this.

Do the light controls in the view port control this or is it someplace else?

I seem to be having some other issues with exporting maps too. But I'll save that for another post.

post-3346-0-10122400-1317620469_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, I selected the faces I wanted moved to their respective UV maps, but as I would unwrap the others or just hit Update Islands, I noticed all the other maps I had worked on (initially I spent a few hours laying all the islands out in logical order...3D Coat destroyed all that work). I normally don't like to disparage 3D Coat, but it has given me so much grief this past week, I'm just going to tell it like it is.