3DCoat Forums

using models as a "brush"

Hoegbo

Hi

I'm new to 3d coat and I'm slowly trying to get my head around the workings of this software.

I'm making a sculpt of a cartoonish knight of sorts , and It has some sharp edges I have been working with the varius tools in voxel and surface mode. but I wonder if there is a way to use models as a brush so to say. ie having a cube brush to cut out hard surfaces. is this possible?

• Advanced Member

You can Import a .obj file and use it as a brush, but it will create a normal map out of it so its quite limited I have to say.

This way its only possible to generate depth in one axis.

When you are working in the voxel room, you could use the merge tool (in voxel mode) to insert a model and place it anywhere you like on your current model.

Yes, use the "Merge" tool in the "Voxel Room" and select the model of your choice. Adding it positively, you can use "On pen" to adjust it's scale, position and depth "on the fly" - and you can apply it as a cutting shape (boolean) by holding down the "Ctrl" key while left clicking.

Greg Smith

For the painting room or otherwise actually using a model as a brush you can also just drag the OBJ or LWO file into the 3DC window and it was ask what you want to do with it. If you're using Windows you have to have UAC (User Account Control) turned off in order to do this. I learned that the hard way.