3DCoat Forums

repetitive (tiled) texture on a plane

kirkl

• Advanced Member

Could sombody remind me please how to make a plane that way so I could paint a tile able texture ( non-square) continuosly from one side to another. Does it work with per pixel mode only? I would prefer per vertex. Should I use some specific plane model and uv mapping?

I remember I did it couple years ago but complettely forgot now.

The "Materials" that are used by 3DC are, by nature, tiled. From the Paint Room, select any Material and you will see it tiling (in a ghosted fashion) all across the viewport.

You can load a "plane" primitive or anything you make yourself, and using any of the Paint modes click on the surface of the plane with the "Fill" tool - make sure you have at least one of the Paint mode icons (Color, Depth, Specularity) left unchecked to see the result of filling the surface with the selected Material.

Greg Smith

Hi!

The feature you're looking for can be found in two places:

The splash screen

Or under File>Import>Image Plane

That should get you rolling! Let me know if you need more help.

• Advanced Member

Tried the import > image plane. No, it's not what I wanted. It's being painted the same way as anything else.( no opposite side stroke continuation) I have no splash screen. Forgot how to switch it back.

ps. I found a kind of work around alredy. Tile the texture 3 times over a plane. Can't get a necessary high resolution (4096) that way although without hanging the whole pc. Probably because I have only 1gb video ram, not sure.

Also it works only with per-pixel mode and I want to import the displacement from Zbrush. Think it's only possible with per-vertex mode.

Just curiouce if I am still missing something.

Hmm, seems that import>image plane is a little different then I remember too.

Ok, just gave a go. On the splash screen (if you don't have it on startup or on a new scene, go to Edit>Preferences>Viewport and turn on "Show import thumbnails on start page" and "Show interface thumbnails on start page"), then you will have some choices, the tiled image plane is under Per Pixel Painting, 3rd from the right (shows some square planes aligned in a 3x3 grid), clickity click and you are set!