3DCoat Forums

Interface Redesign

Sean MacIsaac

• Advanced Member

It's funny you mention this as I was just playing with zbrush and being extremely frustrated with the UI I wrote an email to their suggestions address pleading with them to work on the UI. They wrote back telling me how I am wrong and how most people love the UI, then telling me about how awesome 3.5r3 is.

Don't worry bout those goombahs... they have a large user base, so they don't need us! :)

really... the UI is the WORST one I HAVE EVERY used in my 30 years of using all manner of software - it is so NON-STANDARD!

anyway... that's just me - and I am sure that they have enough users that have adapted their workflow to the zBrush stupidity that they will NEVER change. I've used zBrush, even to the point where I can take advantage of it's functionality - but learning ANYTHING new within it is just frugstrating.

heh....

so what does this have to do with the UI Redesign? well - probably nothing as I am certain that the UI will not go the route of zBrush EVER! that would just be weird, right?

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

One thing i would like more for this app is nicer presets dialogs, one of the reasons i think some other apps are liked so much is they make it quick to save, load and share presets so not only is that good for work flow but new users can download some good presets and get started quicker. In 3D Coat right now i don't like saving/loading brushes so much and it would be nice if all custom stuff was based around a My Documents folder setup with sub folders for different things making them quick to find with everything that takes time to make having a save/load option.

• Advanced Member

Also another thing that would be great is a good plugin SDK and user scripting. There is a SDK now but it seems only for export formats and the forum it has doesn't get many posts but i think this is maybe because there is only so much you can do with that and some users can't code but if there was a simple to use scripting format maybe it would get a lot more use. So for example you could have various commands available and then make a new type of brush or a custom shape maker etc, i might be wrong but as new tools are of interest to everyone they should be more popular and also allow Andrew to focus on the main elements, fixes and optimizations rather than making new tools etc.

There is a SDK now but it seems only for export formats and the forum it has doesn't get many posts but i think this is maybe because there is only so much you can do with that and some users can't code but if there was a simple to use scripting format maybe it would get a lot more use.

I was saying in another thread, Wayne Robson has a program he's writing called MudWalker which connects mudbox to other apps with a one-click transfer. He's using that SDK to include 3DC in the app but it's hard for hims since he doesn't own 3DC.

• 3 years later...
  • Advanced Member

It's funny you mention this as I was just playing with zbrush and being extremely frustrated with the UI I wrote an email to their suggestions address pleading with them to work on the UI. They wrote back telling me how I am wrong and how most people love the UI, then telling me about how awesome 3.5r3 is.

u wrote pixologic to redesign their UI? :) just get used to it...at least Zbrush works like a charm! I'd rather have that confusing UI with good results, then good UI and bad results.

3D coat in my opinion does have none yet. But I am not blaming Andrew. Pixologic just have the money and manpower. In that respect Andrew is doing a greater job.

And even though I am liking 3D coat..in Production it always disappoints me, Zbrush...not

• Like 1