3DCoat Forums

The Development of Ancient Greek Art

• Advanced Member

Take a visit at british museum first.

And see what the greater moment in the whole history of art is.

Elgin marbles. The only masterpieces of Pheidias in our hands.

Then, see if this sculpture looks real or more real or abstract or whatever.

Just look at them, from any point of view we may have in mind.

You may start thinking that Pheidias was following the physical structure of this "penteli" marble. A wonderful marble, so difficult to carve it though.

A fractal, somehow, result.

More real than real. I agree on this.

But there isn't any outline around these structures. It's the surrounding world that flows through these shapes of light and is transforming the surrounding world again.

An endless game.

Anatomically correct... The point in art is not to copy nature. It's rather to find a geometrical solution that translates nature. It's called style.

It is called composition. It is called art. It is called convincing!

Some shots on a really sensitive film, long long time ago in london. (1987)

A cloudy day, so excuse me for this film noise. (HP5-ilford pushed at 3200 ASA. But no flash used, fortunately.

Just have a look at his knees and tell me if this real or more real or something else.

And this drapery study, the best ever made in the history of art. I mean it.

So corrupted. But the essence of art is still alive. Against the pass of time.

parthenon01_9.jpg

parthenon01_15.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Sometimes, I pause and think what is art?

What compels humans to paint, sculpt, carve, write, or become an actor plus there is photographic art too.

How did we arrive at that inward desire. The necessary things in life, food, shelter and a mate should they not satisfy me.

I do not need more than food and shelter to survive. Do we have a soul or spirit or both,Is it all a chemical release in our brain?

This reminds me of what Captain Picard said to Data when touching the first warp drive ship.

Paraphrasing here:

What do you feel Data? Data response in so many words "Metal"

Data,Captain Picard said, When I touch this ship, I feel connected to it, we connect to things through touch.

What causes Michalis to write about art or the man in the video to examine art, why care does it put food on the plate, build a shelter over the head, cause a mate to be attracted to to produce offspring...

Was art invented for the wealthy and powerful to promote their high standing in their culture. Now through generations we just have a built in emotional response to create, like well trained dogs or was the desire there and manipulated by the powerful.

I must really pause and consider, not just a passing thought in the whirl of busy modern life that robs and steals one our most precious things we have "Time"

Thanks for video, it was interesting and cause me to think about the above. To understand ourselves is one way of understanding and appreciating art.

• Advanced Member

I also have to thank you all for giving the opportunity to talk about art.

What people says is not of great importance after all.

It's our feels and logic. This only counts.

Have them joined and have a democracy. A real one.

We should never forget that this innovative art of ancient greeks (attic art in most cases), goes step by step with the rise of democracy. The only Utopia that really changed the world. It made us individuals.

Good things don't last for ever. But they echo to the eternity.

BTW, see the three fates composition (first picture). Knees are so in front. Marvelous. But what makes them look so in front of the other figures? Watch how the whole construction starts looking like a relief as going deeper, in the back. Glorious!