3DCoat Forums

Exporting OBJ Files

Tony Nemo

• Contributor

Exporting OBJs seems to distort the mesh. This mesh when exported and opened in C4Dpost-1430-0-22472300-1354913363_thumb.pn

Looks Like this:

post-1430-0-69574600-1354913427_thumb.pn

I've noticed this before but as it was usually for clothing or other organic stuff, it made little difference but a wall is a step too far. Anybody else noticing this problem? And what can be done about it?

The answer seems to be, export the model from the Retopo room:post-1430-0-09303500-1354914994_thumb.pn

The answer seems to be, don't export Displacement because it distorts the mesh and makes the rendered image very ugly.

• Advanced Member

I'm able to export to OBJ and open in 3ds Max just fine. It may be just me, but I do seem to have problems with getting the specularity to work properly, however. Maybe check your import settings in C4D to see if there's a different way to get the OBJ into it more accurately. Keep in mind that displacement often "balloons" models, especially if they lack enough polys to support the deformation.