3DCoat Forums

Replace object in .3b file? Also Upscale Textures possible?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

Hope everyone is having good holidays. I unfortunately (or fortunately if you count using 3DCoat is fun) am still working.

Quick question. Lightwave Layout scenes have a "Replace Object" function which lets you replace the geometry of a selected item in the scene with another model and it replaces the object in place with all the keyframes and adjustments intact.

Does 3DCoat have a similar function? I have a .3b file which contains an imported LWO object which in 3DC:

• I marked seams
  • created a new UV map
  • went to the paint room and painted many layers
  • I saved the .3b file
  • I then exported this new model and its textures out of 3DCoat back into Lightwave.

Eventually I had to tweak the geometry in the model in Lightwave Modeler. I added several points and polys by slicing up some existing geometry - but the vast majority of the model is exactly as before. LW Modeler interpolated the UV and Weight maps to the new points I've added and all looks fine in Lightwave. However, I would like to go back to the .3b file above and replace the model that is in there with this newer model with the slightly added geometry but I want to keep everything else in the .3b file the same -- the UV map, all marked seams, texture layers etc.

How can I do this? I'd greatly appreciate any help if you have a moment to describe how to do this.

Also, for bonus points: ;-) Assuming I have a .3b file with several textures, some 1024x and some 4096 - is there anyway I can scale up the 1024 sized textures to 4096 within 3DCoat? I accidentally made them smaller than 4096 and need to repaint them larger. By upscaling the image, I realize the quality will be crap, but I can use those old separated layers as reference to paint 4096 sized ones and keep everything looking the same. Obviously I can replace the image with a larger photoshopped one outside of 3DC in LW or my game engine, but how do I tell 3DCoat in this particular .3b file to allocate larger space for these textures/UV maps?

thanks for your help!

• Advanced Member

bonus

Paint

Edit

Mesh and Texture Resolution

Thank you carlosa!

gV0Rm.gif

That was exactly what I was looking for.

I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about it. I've been using 3DCoat for a few years now and never noticed that.

But I'm still wondering about the "replace mesh" thing though....