3DCoat Forums

Some Workflow Improvements

Scott

Hi..

I have recently again spent some time with 3DC, and continue to like the advancements Andrew is making.

I do have some minor workflow improvement suggestions, please correct me if the options i request are already doable.

1)Multiple Brushes, One advantage Bodypaint has over 3DC and Modo for example is the ability

to have two brushes complete with settings such as opacity, jitter, alpha's, textures, colors, bump/spec

etc. What this means is is usually paint with 2 different brushes, with various settings, and with a single click on the Wacom Intuos3

i can go back to other brush, and repeat. Possibly making a small adjustment to one brush and clicking back to another....

It's something that just makes Bodypaint the most refined in terms of workflow for myself. (It's similar to "swap colors" except it swaps all previous brush options set)

2)One option i prefer in Mudbox compared to say ZB or 3DC is the ability to define a single key to change brush size (radius) and Focal Shift.

3DC for example uses the [ and ] keys to change radius, Mudbox allows me to hold a key eg. "Alt" or Wacom Express Key, and drag my Wacom pen either left or right,

this allows me constantly adjust my radius much more quickly, and is one of the many reasons i prefer MB1 over ZB3. This method is faster and more intuitive.

Modo also allows me to just right click and drag, to change radius.

3)Complete Customization of KB Shortcuts: I generally spend a lot of time refining my workflow, and prefer

to have customized shortcut keys and custom wacom setup. (It usually can take many days to refine my workflow in each application.. :))

4)Full screen ability, I would like the ability to maximize screen real-estate when needed, similar to say Mudbox or Photoshop allows tools

to be used, but without any other options being shown. (perhaps the option of floating palettes remains)

3)More GUI Customization:

A) I guess a drag and drop interface, with more customization, perhaps Skin engine or XML, personal Icons or Text could be used,

I don't tend to use anything except paint/sculpt so the Text/Spline etc icons on the left bar, are usually just a distraction and not very useful space wise.

Also i would like the main floating palette to be movable, this window seems to be the only window that is not floating or movable.

B) Show Falloff and Show Focal Shift can be turned on and off, but Smoothing, and Depth, Specularity for example cannot...

I would like more control and consistancy, perhaps all options being able to be flagged on/off including the Icons.

I find 3DC is feature rich, but workflow wise is not quite as good as some of the others applications mentioned,

but could be with a little refinement in the right areas, meanwhile the features continue to impress.

GUI customization would be nice, but the multiple brush option is something i really find really useful for workflow.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Scott.

Hi!

1)Multiple Brushes, One advantage Bodypaint has over 3DC and Modo for example is the ability

to have two brushes complete with settings such as opacity, jitter, alpha's, textures, colors, bump/spec

etc. What this means is is usually paint with 2 different brushes, with various settings, and with a single click on the Wacom Intuos3

i can go back to other brush, and repeat. Possibly making a small adjustment to one brush and clicking back to another....

It's something that just makes Bodypaint the most refined in terms of workflow for myself. (It's similar to "swap colors" except it swaps all previous brush options set)

Thare is Presets window, you can store everything there and switch to pen with big set os settings. Maybe the only missed thing -some hotkey.

2)One option i prefer in Mudbox compared to say ZB or 3DC is the ability to define a single key to change brush size (radius) and Focal Shift.

3DC for example uses the [ and ] keys to change radius, Mudbox allows me to hold a key eg. "Alt" or Wacom Express Key, and drag my Wacom pen either left or right,

this allows me constantly adjust my radius much more quickly, and is one of the many reasons i prefer MB1 over ZB3. This method is faster and more intuitive.

Ok, it could be done. I can make that some key can be defined in Edit->Change so that holding the key and moving the mouse will mean value change.

3)Complete Customization of KB Shortcuts: I generally spend a lot of time refining my workflow, and prefer

to have customized shortcut keys and custom wacom setup. (It usually can take many days to refine my workflow in each application.. :))

Do you mean that some hotkeys still can't be redefined?

4)Full screen ability, I would like the ability to maximize screen real-estate when needed, similar to say Mudbox or Photoshop allows tools

to be used, but without any other options being shown. (perhaps the option of floating palettes remains)

Do you mean hiding only menu, top panet, left toolset panel, bottom hints and right panel but keek floating panels and left tool params panel?

3)More GUI Customization:

A) I guess a drag and drop interface, with more customization, perhaps Skin engine or XML, personal Icons or Text could be used,

I don't tend to use anything except paint/sculpt so the Text/Spline etc icons on the left bar, are usually just a distraction and not very useful space wise.

Also i would like the main floating palette to be movable, this window seems to be the only window that is not floating or movable.

B) Show Falloff and Show Focal Shift can be turned on and off, but Smoothing, and Depth, Specularity for example cannot...

I would like more control and consistancy, perhaps all options being able to be flagged on/off including the Icons.

ok, it is easy, the only problem - not to forget all this :)

• Advanced Member

3DC for example uses the [ and ] keys to changing radius, Mudbox allows me to hold a key eg. "Alt" or Wacom Express Key, and drag my Wacom pen either left or right,

I'm agree.

My ideal workflow would be change radius holding down "right button click" of my wacom pen, "middle button" for depth, and navigating camera with ALT, ALT+SHIFT and ALT+CTRL

• Advanced Member
I'm agree.

My ideal workflow would be change radius holding down "right button click" of my wacom pen, "middle button" for depth, and navigating camera with ALT, ALT+SHIFT and ALT+CTRL

in silo holding the middle mouse and moving left and right changes radius and moving up and down changes strength.. very nice

Hi!

Thare is Presets window, you can store everything there and switch to pen with big set os settings. Maybe the only missed thing -some hotkey.

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply.

The presets really are not as good as Bodypaints method for workflow speed. This way i have to save a preset every few seconds, and re-apply it every few seconds,

with Bodypaint all i have to do is "Swap Brush" in the same method as i would "swap colors" It basically records all my options automatically, and this really speeds things up.

However yes i think the simplest solution for 3DC could be allow a shortcut key for maybe "Next Preset Brush" and perhaps "Previous Preset Brush, and "Save Preset"

That way i can assign it to my Wacom expresskeys, in much the same way i do for "Swap Colors" in Bodypaint.

Do presets take into account options like Pen Pressure settings, and am i silly or is there no way to enable to paint with just Pressure = Opacity?

I seem to have Depth, Depth+Radius, Depth+Radius+Opacity, But not just Opacity option?

Ok, it could be done. I can make that some key can be defined in Edit->Change so that holding the key and moving the mouse will mean value change.

Yes, thankyou that would be a nice option, again the current method is quite good, but when you spend many hours with a Tablet, doing many models

these types of workflow changes really help the speed at which i can achieve the same results.

Do you mean that some hotkeys still can't be redefined?

Yes, I usually spend a lot of time making keys and menus suit my own workflow, so customization of KB shortcuts would be useful.

Do you mean hiding only menu, top panet, left toolset panel, bottom hints and right panel but keek floating panels and left tool params panel?

Basically just the viewport should be active, (I think Photoshop does this with Tab key) Mudbox also allows just a full screen viewport with

just floating tools available. When working on close detail i tend to just view the model, and one palette no extra clutter.

(I also do not wish to have the left toolbar active, only floating panels.)

ok, it is easy, the only problem - not to forget all this :)

Hehehe, Thanks for taking the time to read them....

I will remind you on the weeks you seem less busy, mainly options 1 & 2 are important....

Thanks again, keep up the great work!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to ask again, but is the following option possible in 3DC currently?

Is there no way to enable to paint with just Pressure = Opacity?

I seem to have Depth, Depth+Radius, Depth+Radius+Opacity, But not just Opacity option?

• Advanced Member
Sorry to ask again, but is the following option possible in 3DC currently?

Is there no way to enable to paint with just Pressure = Opacity?

Simply delelect the Depth and Spec in the top bar, and select the second stroke type.

You will be able to paint, the pressure controlling the opacity