3DCoat Forums

Brush Blurring for No Reason

==========================================================================

BUILD: 3.7.18f(CUDA(DX64)

HARDWARE: (If applicable)

BUG DESCRIPTION: At a certain location on the model the brush is blurred below that point. The location seems to be dependent on the poly's, but not on a tri-basis (unsure what basis). Putting an image on to demonstrate:

brushissue.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See the read area circling the blurred line - also not that it isn't a strait line across. Tried moving the model in 3dCoat space, but this didn't affect the issue.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Seems to be based on this model, but unsure.

==========================================================================

Sorry for the incredibly rushed description above, that was after a long time of trying to figure out what was going on - and after two hours I had to give up. Just a bit of clarification:

-The brush itself doesn't change size, its only the application of the paint. And the brush doesn't "Blur" as I said before - it just widens to about 5 pixels or so instead of one. The actual radius of the brush was below one, and I would lower it down to 0.001 (and smaller), but when it should be smaller than one pixel - the application of the brush would instead become more transparent rather than getting smaller.

-When applying the brush directly onto the texture editor there doesn't seem to be any increase to size.

-Looking at the red area I used to show where the blurring was happening looks strangely like the way a sphere which was centered at the base of the model would cut through the model itself.. I don't know if its relevant, but it is strange enough to point out.

-When trying to recreate this issue with other models, I found it repeatable by simply having a large mesh - scaled up maybe around 10 times the default cube of 3dcoat. Even scaling a default cube up in 3dcoat causes major issues beyond what I've described in the post above (including and adding to) - so, things I found:

-Brush will randomly (definitely not based on a sphere) increase or decrease the size of the brush's application and a "set" pattern onto the surface of whatever mesh it is. The pattern does not seem to change on the specific model.

-In addition, moving the camera becomes more than a chore -> simple zooming becomes so painful that it is essentially unusable.

-I also found that zooming back a little ways from the large mesh and attempting to draw on a surface at an angle (not perpendicular to the viewer's camera, the larger the angle the larger the effect) causes a brushstroke to naturally shift back and forth along the path. This shifting ends up looking like a zig-zag pattern, which could be defined by triangles, but again seems arbitrarily chosen between faces.

-Also selecting a mesh while in Tweak mode seems to create a duplicate or something to that extent which is directly on top of the original -> the selection wires become black and flicker as though z-fighting with something.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

One more little note - I have used 3dcoat a lot, and this is the first I've had "major" issues like this. I will have to try these same tests on earlier versions of 3dcoat, but right now I'm thinking that this problem came with the latest build.

• Contributor

Possible solutions:

I would recommend downloading and installing the latest Version 4 Beta. Often the Beta version is better than the latest "stable" version. If it does not solve your problems, then simply reinstall your older version. Your serial number will activate either version.

You can download the Version 4 Beta here:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&hl=&fromsearch=1

Also, your problem might be related to using Ptex to paint your model. Are you using Ptex? With Ptex you can change the resolution of your paint on different sections of your model (which would make some sections "blurry" and other sections higher resolution).

Also, your problem might be related to insufficient hardware on your machine. Possibly insufficient RAM on video card, or system RAM.

Also, your problem might be related to vertex painting. If you are using vertex painting in the paint room and your low-poly mesh is also being displayed simultaneously, possible viewport issues may occur. You can try going to the View menu and clicking on "ShowVoxelsInThePaintRoom" to see if anything changes.

Also your problem may be related to improper layout of your UVs, overlapping faces, etc. I would recommend inspecting both your 3D mesh and UVs for errors in modeling.

That's all I can think of.

You can always send your model (via private e-mail) to support for examination. They are usually fast in responding.

Best of luck!