3DCoat Forums

"Millions of polygons" parameter

BluEgo

• Advanced Member

I don't understand very well this param.

What I see in the wireframe shading is the carcass resolution, even if when I sculpt, there seems to be another level of subdivision in the center of the faces.

I mean that when I paint across the center of faces with a small brush, when I release the stroke in the middle of the faces some displacement occurs.

Anyway displayed resolution isn't that of "millions of poligons" paramater, so I'm curios about what was the purpose of this number

There are two levels of details in 3D-coat - carcass resolution and high-poly mesh. Carcass is usually 30-200 K of polygones, high poly mesh is 300K - 20M of polygones. Every face of carcass mesh is a subpatch (NxM, not only 2^n x 2^n like it is in MB & ZB). 3D-Coat displays mesh with carcass resolition with normalmap created using high-poly mesh. So for sculpting carcass resolution is used, for detailing and painting - high-poly mesh. Millions of polygines is hp mesh resolution.

• Advanced Member
There are two levels of details in 3D-coat - carcass resolution and high-poly mesh. Carcass is usually 30-200 K of polygones, high poly mesh is 300K - 20M of polygones. Every face of carcass mesh is a subpatch (NxM, not only 2^n x 2^n like it is in MB & ZB). 3D-Coat displays mesh with carcass resolition with normalmap created using high-poly mesh. So for sculpting carcass resolution is used, for detailing and painting - high-poly mesh. Millions of polygines is hp mesh resolution.

Thank you for your answer.

In the future there will be the chance to display the hp mesh resolution?

• Advanced Member
Displaying 20M mesh will kill the computer at all :) (1 fph - flip per hour:)

LOL :lol:

Well, so hoping carcass resolution will reach at 1-4 Million of polygons is only a dream, right ?

I also would like to change carcass resolution after I opened the file in future releases