3DCoat Forums

Retopology request

Rodney Brett

Like many other 3d modelers, retopology has become a pretty big part of my workflow. But I wanted to point out something that drastically speeds up the process and that's the ability to exploit "primitives" for retopo work. For example, basic "poly by poly" retopo goes extremely slow and the results are not as good as if you were to approach it like "box modeling" in reverse. If you were rebuilding something like a cylindrical tail, it's much easier to use a cylindrical "primitive" and constrain it to the surface and further tweak it.

Now I know that 3d-coat is not a poly modeler per say, but just some simple "primitives" with basic cut poly tools would be useful if retopology is in the cards for future releases. It's one of the reasons why I go with dRaster's NEX over TOPOGUN or other "retopo" apps.

You can see how I utilize "poly tools" in the retopology stage in the youTube videos below. It's very important for me to be able to control edgeflow with basic poly tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtSMQbv3uAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVaq8FA5aQ

• Advanced Member

Andrew,I have a "big" or stupid idea about retopo tool, because english is not my native language, I hope you can understand me on what I mean at least.

you have made a magic feature in 3dc, painting in 2D view, feedback on 3d view,so we can rapid coat the whole model with texture in 2d view at one time,

I think retopo is just to coat and project to the surface of a model with "poly mesh grid", please have a look at the attached picture.so i think there must have a way to rapid retopo a model roughly, the next step is to tweat the mesh accurately. if this would have been done,it would change the workflow of retopo and greatly improve it.

I really hope i have not confused you!

post-641-1213692055_thumb.jpg

Andrew,I have a "big" or stupid idea about retopo tool, because english is not my native language, I hope you can understand me on what I mean at least.

you have made a magic feature in 3dc, painting in 2D view, feedback on 3d view,so we can rapid coat the whole model with texture in 2d view at one time,

I think retopo is just to coat and project to the surface of a model with "poly mesh grid", please have a look at the attached picture.so i think there must have a way to rapid retopo a model roughly, the next step is to tweat the mesh accurately. if this would have been done,it would change the workflow of retopo and greatly improve it.

I really hope i have not confused you!

Rapid-Retopo would work, but it would only serve to create a newer "usable" sculpt mesh and not one clean for animation. I understand your idea though, and it has potential. Say, for example that you displaced a "horn" far from it's original base mesh. Rapid-retopo would quickly make the mesh usable for further sculpt.

• Advanced Member
Rapid-Retopo would work, but it would only serve to create a newer "usable" sculpt mesh and not one clean for animation. I understand your idea though, and it has potential. Say, for example that you displaced a "horn" far from it's original base mesh. Rapid-retopo would quickly make the mesh usable for further sculpt.

I really agree with you.I think rapid-retopo is only fit to some regular part of model like leg or forearm,but it would work more efficient. I think Andrew would have made such tool,let's wait and cheer!