3DCoat Forums

Importing Model for Displacements and Painting

Hi,

Are there any workflow videos to show the best way to import a model (low-medium poly) into 3dcoat for painting textures and displacement? The model has uv's. I am looking to export color maps and displacement maps for the model, to use in my 3d package (Softimage).

I have been trying to import the model into Microvertex mode, but I am not getting any detail in my displacements. I am not sure what settings to change or how to increase the resolution of the model to get high detail displacements. I've been using the 4.12D beta.

Thanks.

Thanks for the movie link. After watching that I have another question: What is the best way to paint detailed displacements on a pre-existing model with uv's - importing into the retopo room then voxel room to work up displacements or working microvertex in the paint room? I am not looking to change my original model, just to generate a displacement map to apply for rendering in Softimage.

I had been trying to use the applink for Softimage and I noticed that my texture size was locking me out of using 4096 texture map. So I tried using the "paint over the model with deep displacement" from the opening options screen. I select my .obj model and then changed these settings:

millions of polygons: 10

carcass resolution: 677248 (the highest option)

keep uvs

Texture size: 4096 (I wasn't locked out now)

With these settings I was getting a better level of detail than I was before. I am a bit confused which of those settings is giving me the increase in detail: millions of polygons, carcass resolution or texture size?

How do each of these settings affect the setup for painting displacements with microvertex?

What are usable parameters for these settings? For instance, is 10 way too high for the millions of polygons option?

Does anyone know why the applink might be locking out my texture size, but not when manually importing my model?

Even though I am getting better details with these settings, I haven't been able to export a workable displacement map. I was trying to use Textures>Export>Vector Displacement Map.

Should I let 3dcoat fill in the empty space?

Javis, looking forward to your tutorial. Might it be ready soon?

Thanks.