3DCoat Forums

A couple of things...

nuverian

I have gathered things I wants to say here, not to create many posts in different forum categories.So here I go:

1. Does the texture space that a polygon has, affects the detail it can get at all? Because I have this feeling.

2.I have added some detail on a model.Afterwards I go to fill the object with some pattern, and whenever I see the model through the preview window (not actualy filling the object) , the detail on the model seems a lot better. Why is that and is there a way to get that better detail?

3.Erasing on layer 0 doesnt seems to work to me. :-/

4. "preserve positions" on some loaded models doesnt seem to work.Is there a work around other than adding edge loops on the model before importing?

5. If I am correct, you can not hide polygons by "polygon islands" (XSI naming) or polygroups (zbrush naming)? It would be great to be able to.

6. Does the carcass resolution affects the detail if I am not going to sculpt anything (with sculpt tool)?

7. I have imported several objects in the scene.How can I merge their UVs as well?

Thats all :blink:

Thanks and happy :brush: ing !

Excuse me I have just seen the topic.

1. Does the texture space that a polygon has, affects the detail it can get at all? Because I have this feeling.

The quality depends on mesh resolution more then on texture resolution because painting is made over micro vertices.

2.I have added some detail on a model.Afterwards I go to fill the object with some pattern, and whenever I see the model through the preview window (not actualy filling the object) , the detail on the model seems a lot better. Why is that and is there a way to get that better detail?

It is because painting resolution is limited to texture/mesh resolution, but preview is done in screen space and it's resolution is almost infinite, more close to mesh - more details you can see. To improve quality you need to increase mesh resolution (millions of polygones)

3.Erasing on layer 0 doesnt seems to work to me. :-/

It is impossible, because Lauer 0 is starting point for displacement. So you need to paint on Layer 1 and other. Layer 0 is only starting point for displacement.

4. "preserve positions" on some loaded models doesnt seem to work.Is there a work around other than adding edge loops on the model before importing?

Please show example. Maybe some non organic staff?

5. If I am correct, you can not hide polygons by "polygon islands" (XSI naming) or polygroups (zbrush naming)? It would be great to be able to.

You can. Open UV-preview in hide tool and doubleclick on island.

6. Does the carcass resolution affects the detail if I am not going to sculpt anything (with sculpt tool)?

Carcass resolution is important for sculpting. It is less important for painting because of output displacement quality (texture) is independent on carcass res.

7. I have imported several objects in the scene.How can I merge their UVs as well?

It is possible using UV-tool. But there is not much freedom - you can mark seams but can't move islands.

I found a thread talking about 3DCoat.

<a href="http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79030" target="_blank">http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79030</a>

It is said that "3DCoat doesn't subdivide edges and creases well, so best suited to organic work".

Is this true?

3DC subdivides creases/edges using catmull-clark method, it is standart. 3DC supports sharp edges and I am not sure that even ZB&MB support sharp edges subdivision correctly .But the main problem in this question is that sometimes peoples don't need subdivision, they only want to paint low poly model as is, without even displacement. In that case they can import model without smoothing but it looks faceted and it is also not always a best solution. So, one of two main features of 3.0 will be complete solution of this question - painting over non subdivided model over pixels of texture (not over micropolygones like now) even with displacement (the other main feature - volumetric sculpting).

1. Where could we find the roadmap of 3DCoat 3.0 (or, are there any?)?

I will post it later, but approx it will out in september-october with 2 major features:

1) volumetric sculpting (see there)

2) Direct painting over low/mid/high poly model without additional subdivision. It will give best quality and high speed of painting for small and big textures.

2. I lost a thread saying this: When will we pay the upgrade fee of 3DCoat?

Update to 3.0 will be not free, but the payment will be much less for customers. I can't tell details just now.