3DCoat Forums

Help ! OBJ -> 3DC -> Modo

Yannick

Hello !

I'm a newcomer to 3DCoat and Modo. My former applications were Hexagon and Carrara.

My test is rather simple : I import an obj mesh that i created with Hexagon (a head) in 3D Coat with the default options; then I play with the different tools until I get a satisfying result.

Now for the difficult part, I want to export from 3D Coat to Modo, and get the same visual result in Modo, but I can't figure out what to do ...

I export my object in LWO format, i export the displacement vector as EXR with all the default options. I import in Modo the LWO object, add the normal map and vector displacement in the mesh material, but it's rather far from what I had in 3DCoat !!!

Can someone be kind enough to explain the basic workflow from 3DCoat to Modo, please ? (I 'm just discovering normal map and vector displacement, so basically what I do is try and test every combination of parameter ...)

Regards,

Yannick

ok thanks Andrew for this first answer.

i need to export :

color and specular and bump and vector displacement

OR

color and specular and bump and normal

and load the maps accordingly in Modo... what are the best settings when exporting the normals for Modo ?

I do not have the software for now so I can't post any screenshot .. sorry.

I managed to get a good result in Modo with your answers and a little testing !

thanks !

3D Coat is really a powerful tool and yet so easy to use ... my only concern about this application is the licencing policy.

I've been using (and purchasing !) Carrara , Amapi and Hexagon for years and I'm happy with their simple serial code protection stuff. I can install it over the years as I change my hardware . No deactivation, no serial number request by phone or mail or whatever.

Today, the commercial future of Amapi is uncertain but I know I'll be able to use it even if it disappears !

Software protection is not an easy issue, but the way it is implemented in 3D Coat is far too restricting in my opinion. Andrew, I saw that this may change in a near future, that's why I downloaded the evaluation version ... can you tell more about it ?