3DCoat Forums

Automatic UV layout?

dre4mer

Thank you! That's it, oddly I searched the manual for the term layout but wasn't able to find this. Terminology I guess.

The next issue i'm having is the group of UV's shrinks way down for some reason. Autoscale doesn't seem to fix this. Anyone know why this might be?

• Contributor

When you run the automatic UV functions (Unwrap, Pack UV, etc.) then the UVs will be sized proportionally to the actual size they occupy on your model.

If you want each UV to have more texture space, then you can make a new UV set and put some of your UVs there. Then you will have more room on each UV set to scale them up and make them bigger.

(There is a button above the viewport which says "Add new UV-set")

Otherwise keep them all on one UV set and just scale up the ones you want bigger, and scale down the ones you want smaller.

(You can select and scale the UVs in the UV preview window.)

That does clear it up a bit more for me thank you Timmy, the thing that seems odd though is when it's first automatically mapped, the UV"s fill the whole UV space, and the checker texture looks good on the model. But then say I want to rotate some of them and re-lay them out so that they don't overlap. Then Packing seems to shrinks the whole square down. I kinda just wanted to scale the whole block of islands so that they filled the entire UV space. As it is the UV block covers less then a quarter of the space. Technically I could scale the block up in Maya, but it seems like it should be filling the space in 3d Coat?