3DCoat Forums

"rigging" 3.xx?

Nemoid_

A great feature to add for 3.xx could be some sort of

rigging within the app, a bit like was demonstrated years ago

in pixologic forums for - never released - ZB 2.5

in ZB 3.0 there are some possibilities, to do this, but workflow is very convoluted.

clearly transpose, despite being good , was a result of an half implemented feature.

i think that what

was prviewed wasway more artist friendly :lol:

I know that in 3d coat there's yet a tool to pose the model, with a similar workflow as transpose,

but having the possibility to build a sort of skeleton inside of the model to pose it will be very handy

(even while modelling) and the great thing would be always having the possibility to change the pose

with great ease and comfort.

plus, maybe that this skeleton could also be exported as joints to other packages like Lw or

whatever other app (i don't know if this is easy to do programming wise , tho)

think about it, users would appreciate this a lot. ;)

in ZB 3.0 there are some possibilities, to do this, but workflow is very convoluted.

clearly transpose, despite being good , was a result of an half implemented feature.

i think that what

I know that in 3d coat there's yet a tool to pose the model, with a similar workflow as transpose,

but having the possibility to build a sort of skeleton inside of the model to pose it will be very handy

(even while modelling) and the great thing would be always having the possibility to change the pose

plus, maybe that this skeleton could also be exported as joints to other packages like Lw or

Btw not bad idea of bone - based transpose tool. It really could be used for rigging.

Ok, even I don't know how it will grow in a month. Let us look :)

• Advanced Member

i think that what

I like the idea of a easy way to pose a character + skeleton, maybe that skeleton can be a made up from polygons. Then you can create custom skeletons in your 3D application and bring them into 3DC maybe as a "skeleton" layer?

Joint export? how is that going to work? that would be nightmare to support, debug,programming because every application probably does it different.

• Advanced Member

Skeleton support is not a feature i'd like to see in the near future, but FBX format already support bones and skinning information.

It's very handy to bring a skinned model from one app to another

Zbrush transpoe is enough for me.

I like the idea of a easy way to pose a character + skeleton, maybe that skeleton can be a made up from polygons. Then you can create custom skeletons in your 3D application and bring them into 3DC maybe as a "skeleton" layer?

Joint export? how is that going to work? that would be nightmare to support, debug,programming because every application probably does it different.

hehe joint or bone export, i do know can be difficult, if not impossible to handle. it was just an idea i threw, knowing andrew is such an excellent programmer.

the main thing i was asking for is a system similar to what Pixologic previewed , just because i find a similar workflow more handy to pose characters from within the app.it could also be quite helpful when modelling a character, for example raising his arms and sculpt in difficult spots.

also. if you take a look in ZBrush centrals there are several topics about some convoluted workflow to rig geometry, and faces of a character. i read alot of posts asking for what Pixologic originally previewed rather

than simple transpose.

This being said, also transpose feature is really fantastic.

but you have to be a bit careful placing the deformer correctly, and masking areas, to not cause strange distortions onto your model.

with a "rigging" feature ( i call it like that because it would not be exactly the rigging you make in 3d apps)

you maybe would have to set some weight map or mask or something to control "bone" influence - this could be made with 3d coat usual painting toolset, incidentally, but at the end you would be done and you could pose the char to your hearth content.

Thanks Andrew for the quick reply. I think such a feature could be interesting for many users. :)

• Advanced Member

I much prefer transpose as well. It is a much better final implementation than the zsphere rigs and far more versatile. I use it for everything from simple transformation of objects to complex posing of my characters, at any stage of the creation process, including high rez, detailed meshes. It is a true sculpting tool that enhances the process greatly. I've also rigged in all the major packages and would much prefer you try to avoid mimicking those weighted deformation solutions that are really rather distracting to the sculpting process. Having a deformation rig is not important to me when sculpting. Having a tool that allows me to achieve any pose I want without requiring me to build and weight skeletons is. I'm also not interested in skinned mesh compatibility with other programs. Rigging is best done in the application you animate in, and as far as compatibility with other programs go, those packages already support fbx and collada formats.