3DCoat Forums

Workflow With Multiple Objects

Teriander

Hello Fellow Artist!

I have a 3D Coat workflow question for you:

I have a F-16 I created in 3D Max, Looks great, low-poly, obejcts are separated correctly, ready for unwrapping and texturing in 3D Coat. I've selected all the objects and exported them into a single obj file. When I bring the obj into 3D coat I want each object to have its own UV Tile. For example, Flaps, Canopy, Tail, Exhaust, etc. will have it's own UV section instead off ALL the objects Unwrapped into a single UV tile.

Is that possible with 3D Coat?

I see at the top of the UV section of 3D Coat, next to "Mark Seams" is "---Default". This looks like a section I can manually place selected objects into their own UV Page. Is this the only way to send objects into their own UV Tile Page or can this be done automatically?

How does one select an object on the UV Page? The only way I see is to click on the 2D Layout on the "Preview" window. Can I select an object in the 3D Viewport under the "UV" page?

OR

Is the best workflow exported multiple obj files from Max, Importing them one at a time into 3D Coat, UV unwrap it, and exporting them one at a time back into 3d Max?

Thanks!

Awesome program by the way..

• Contributor

Have you tried importing for Per Pixel? You already have UVs so no 'unwrapping' is necessary. The separate objects are accessible from the Objects window which if not immediately visible can be found in the Windows>Popups menu. The "Texture Editor" will also give access to the various UVed parts.

Thanks for replying Tony,

I always use Per Pixel as my import method. I found the "Objects" list. But this list only allows me to rename the object, hide it, lock it, or delete it. I can't actually select the object from this list. I also found the "Texture Editor" but this doesn't seem to help much as well. I've attached a screenshot showing my issue. How would you recommend I go about solve the UV Tiling?

I think If I can easily select the objects I can assign them to their own UV Set. Selecting the objects is still an issue.

post-37563-0-04741600-1369685695_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

I not sure why your obj model with the multiple uv sets is importing incorrectly using PPP. Normally 3DCoat will see the multiple uv sets upon import giving you the option to choose the texture resolution per uv set.

Watch these two tutorials by AbnRanger on understanding how to create uv sets, selecting parts and or uv islands of the model and then moving moving them to the correct Uv set.

This will at least help till you figure out why the obj model is importing incorrectly using PPP.

There is more to learn but this will get you going...

Also you can turn off the single island preview if it is getting in your way. Upper right part of the top interface...