3DCoat Forums

Painting layers

Steve_f

Hi everyone,

I'm just started trying trial version of 3DC and am deciding whether to buy the educational or Pro version. I am completely new to sculpting/painting apps like this and zbrush but have used Lightwave and Blender etc.

I understand the limitations on edu. version regards commercial use and textures but cannot fully appreciate the 7 layer limit as the trial version is unlimited and I want to make a decision quickly before price goes up in few days.

I know it relates to paint layers which are similar to PS; does it mean there can be no more than 7 in total in a project or 7 for blending any textures together. I am not expecting to do any commercial work (as obvious by my ignorance) but wondering if this limit is likely to be of any relevance to me for personal use.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some more light on this for me. :blush:

Thanks a lot

Steve

Hi All,

Sorry if my question appeared basic. I guess what I really want is to know whether I would need the Pro version as a newbie or whether the edu would be sufficient for all my needs? I not going to make game assets so it would be good to have unlimited textures but there is considerable difference in price on steam for the benefit of layers alone if I don't need them.

PLEASE can I get some opinions as to how many would go for the basic version first. :unsure:

Also have read various posts regarding buying on STEAM but still cannot find out whether I would have to run 3dc from within steam AND whether I would have to be online to run 3dc.

I want to run 3dc as a stand alone application without using steam like any other app you purchase. It seems steam is selling at reduced price because they want people to use it for their games!

I emailed STEAM couple days ago to ask this and they have not replied-what a poor response :mad: .

If anyone has the answer to use on steam PLEASE let me know as this is the most important thing I need to find out before buying.

Thanks again

Steve

can be no more than 7 in total in a project

texture size limit is 2K by layer

Steam and 3DC FAQ

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10451&hl=steam

The best way to know for sure, is to contact sales and let them know your particulars.

Thanks for your response Carlosan, and the info. I have already read the link you provide but it does not answer the question regarding using 3DC through STEAM or independantly, offline.

I will email sales as you suggest.

Thanks again.