3DCoat Forums

Is Smoothing effected by "Visible Triangles" of an Object?...and I can't get my Vox Tree Popup Menu to fully load :(

So I noticed that when using the same Smoothing Tool and same setting (100% for example),

the higher the "Visible Triangles" count, the less aggressive the Smoothing action is on the object.

*Is this simply because there are more Triangles to Smooth?

*...does "Object Scale" also effect the Smooth action?

..and I can't get my VoxTree PopUp Menu to show when in Voxel Mode.  :(

(I have 3DCOAT V4)

post-12925-0-43782600-1375096589_thumb.j

When in Surface Mode, I get:

"Turn surface to shell."

"Close holes in surface."

"Separate disconnected pieces."

*Where is it?

Any suggestions please?

Also, under "Commands", if I am in Voxel Mode, I am able to "Rez +"

but when in Surface Mode "Rez +" is not available.

*Why can't you "Rez +" in Surface Mode?

...and I have no indication how much I will be increasing the Rez.

*How do I increase or decrease an Objects Resolution outside of using "Rez +"?

________________________________________________________________________________

*Also, I thought that if you change from Surface Mode back to Voxel Mode,

you will loose Resolution the more you change back and forth.

But I don't notice the reduction in Resolution no matter how many times I change back and forth.

(That is, "Visible Triangles" and "Curr. Obj. Tris." stay the same).

________________________________________________________________________________

*I also cannot find the LATHE TOOL...I thought it was in the PRIMITIVES PopUp Menu somewhere?

Thanks!   :)

Edited by Voxelapocalypse

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, the smooth brush gets pretty weak the higher you go in voxel or polygons in surface mode. At one time we could go past 100% for our smoothing but it cause some mesh problems. I made my own smoothing brushes. The  Grow brush makes a great smoother on a depth setting of 5 with the invert setting selected and using a brush setting that takes into account your pen pressure on your tablet.

In Surface mode, Artman's preset polish brush is a good smoother. I have 3 smoothing brushes.. Artman's polish brush and two that I created.

I never had my voxtree tab screw up like that, You can try "reset this page to default" under the Windows menu.

Surface mode:

Once you get your voxtree tab back, right click on the surface layer and the three areas that you are looking for are there.

Res+ is 4X the amount of your current voxel count.

Surface mode is true polygons, Res+ only works on increasing the resolution of your voxels.

Resample tool gives you manual control of how many voxels or polygons (surface mode) you want to increase or decrease by. In surface mode resampling will turn your mesh back to a voxel triangle structure but still staying in surface mode and it can cause some triangle artifacts but not always.

Better to add the detail where you need it yourself. The newest beta also as a new subdivide tool with loop subdivision. This works really well.

You only loose detail switching back and forth between surface and voxel mode if you do not give enough voxel resolution to capture the surface mode polygons. That is the reason the voxel count dialog box comes up.

The lathe tool is in the newest beta, which you can test even if you are using a trial version.

The newest beta has Artman's presets included.   Windows Menu / Popups / Presets.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&page=1

• Contributor

A key thing to remember is that you can change the resolution (higher or lower) on any section of your mesh in surface mode. You can have a very high poly section right next to a very low poly section if you want. If you want to smooth a particular section, just reduce the resolution on that one section and smooth it. After you smooth it, you can increase the resolution there again afterwards if you want.

Thanks for all the help guys!   :)

Now all that Rez stuff makes sense. It's a lot to put into perspective, Thanks again.

I'll try out those smooth brush presets and your Grow Smooth set on 5 digman.

...just have to keep trying stuff out is all, there's so many possibilities!

I just downloaded the newest Version, so I have the Angulator and other Tools now.

(Thought only customers who bought 3DCOAT could download Beta stuff...sweet!)

I tried everything, still can't get my VoxTree popup window to work.   :(
I seriously need a new rig that can handle the awesome that is 3DCOAT...soon, soon
My PC is just not agreeing with 3DCOAT.

Thanks again.   :)

Edited by Voxelapocalypse