3DCoat Forums

When or why to use...

Cylon

After having watched a ton of video tutorials including Javis Jones' complete 3D Coat training (these are fantastic btw.), I'm still wondering why or when to use surface tools. Why should I use surface mode for sculpting instead of voxel sculpting (besides performance)?

• Reputable Contributor

After having watched a ton of video tutorials including Javis Jones' complete 3D Coat training (these are fantastic btw.), I'm still wondering why or when to use surface tools. Why should I use surface mode for sculpting instead of voxel sculpting (besides performance)?

I used to work in Voxel mode until the final stages of a sculpt, but with all the focus on the Surface mode brushes recently, I will sculpt in Surface mode most of the time. I will still want to switch back and forth some, as some tools in voxel mode works better or faster. Such as boolean operations. If you want a softer pinch, the Voxel mode works a bit better. Nevertheless, you can tell that the sheer number of Surface mode brushes have grown over the past few years, especially considering LiveClay.

Keep in mind that if you start using LiveClay to add high level detail, it doesn't make a lot of sense to switch back to voxel mode from there. Why? Because in Voxel mode, that outer mesh reverts to an evenly distributed layout, and you will need a lot of voxels to try and maintain that localized detail. That runs counter to the whole purpose of localized subdivision, and you will likely loose some of that detail anyway. So plan ahead. The tools are there to do what you want, and with the ability to switch back and forth, but that doesn't mean it's wise to do so in every situation. Use each mode for it's strengths and with a little forethought, and you'll be pretty happy with the results.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Javis Jones' complete 3D Coat training (these are fantastic btw.)

Yeah Javis and AbnRanger are actually a big part of what makes 3D-Coat so great. A software package could have a million amazing features, but if nobody teaches you how to use them, then those features are useless.

If you want to really see what the difference between voxel mode and surface mode is, then turn on wireframe view (in the View menu). Sculpt on a sphere in Voxel mode with several brushes, and then switch to surface mode and sculpt with several brushes there (including the Live Clay brushes). You will see how the wireframe is affected differently in Voxel mode and Surface mode. Both modes are very powerful and useful as long as you understand what each mode is capable of, and when you need to use them.