3DCoat Forums

coming from zbrush questions. . . .

Flippers

I would really appreciate if anyone can answer some of the questions i have. thanks in advance!

1. i sometimes use the 2.5d canvas for creating textures from zbrush, i bake all my maps or grab the doc and assemble in photoshop. anything like this available in coat?

2. i believe i saw a long time ago you can have realtime shadows and all these fancy things going on in the viewport? not sure how i find this, or if its even in 3d coat? swore i rememberd this though. 

3. any great voxel sculpting videos out there someone can recommend? i do a lot of environment work, love to see some guns or...spaceships, anything hard surface made in 3d coat. 

• Reputable Contributor

1. No 2.5d canvas in 3DC, maybe a few work arounds but I would have explore them first...

2. Voxel menu in the voxel room near the bottom " Cast Shadows" They are not anti-alias.

3. Lots of ways to create hard surface models in 3DCoat...

Explore the interface, lots of tools there, esp under the objects section, left toolbar. Some brushes can create or cut shapes using the e-panel splines...

This should get you at least started, it is an older PDF tutorial on modelling a pistol. (Colt PeaceMaker)

http://3d-coat.com/tutorial/free-tutorial/voxel-sculpting/

Some hard surface tips, Tutorial dated Nov of last year... More tools have been added since then...

• Advanced Member

If displacement from zb 2.5d is what you're asking, yes it is possible in 3dcoat. 

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12787&p=92071

Just insert a panel like first and start adding or instancing in voxels room. 

In retopo room create a simple square, disable snapping and place it as explained on the link above. 

IMO, you have much more control than in zb 2.5 d. 

In zb, I avoid 2.5d in favor of the 3d mode for similar reasons. 

If color textures - panels to use them as diffuse is what you're asking, just sculpt anything and render (render room) using a parallel camera.