3DCoat Forums

Voxel Sculpt > Hide Tool - Ghost Hidden

• Advanced Member

Agreed.  Something like that for the Voxel room has been mentioned before.  Unfortunately, the nature of voxels makes it extremely difficult to figure out how to make something like this work.  I've already had this discussion with Andrew.

• Advanced Member

I would like that, too.  It has to do with the volume that would have to be ghosted for voxels.  In Surface Mode, you only have to mask a paper-thin surface, just like ZBrush, but in Voxel Mode, you have to mask a section of a volume.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like that, too.  It has to do with the volume that would have to be ghosted for voxels.  In Surface Mode, you only have to mask a paper-thin surface, just like ZBrush, but in Voxel Mode, you have to mask a section of a volume.

So, would it be possible to use a ghosted mesh proxy of the surface of hidden voxels? I was thinking of that as a possible sculpting toggle for voxel mode anyhow.  A mesh is normally the end result anyhow and voxel mode looks chunkier and less consistent than mesh at lower resolutions. could even use the live clay algorithm for self healing to keep it possible to punch holes and fuse on the fly. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that maintaining a constant mesh proxy would be even more resource intensive, but for a temorarily ghosted portion it might be practical. The program already flits about converting between surface and voxel mode after all, and voxel models can be sliced and diced easily enough so it would simply hide the voxels and treat the hidden voxels as a separate model and then convert just that portion to surface mode ghosted so that you can get the desired visual feedback.  Might not be absolutely perfect, but it should be doable, and provide the desired visual feedback.

Edited by The.Great.ESCape

So, would it be possible to use a ghosted mesh proxy of the surface of hidden voxels? I was thinking of that as a possible sculpting toggle for voxel mode anyhow.  A mesh is normally the end result anyhow and voxel mode looks chunkier and less consistent than mesh at lower resolutions. could even use the live clay algorithm for self healing to keep it possible to punch holes and fuse on the fly. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that maintaining a constant mesh proxy would be even more resource intensive, but for a temorarily ghosted portion it might be practical. The program already flits about converting between surface and voxel mode after all, and voxel models can be sliced and diced easily enough so it would simply hide the voxels and treat the hidden voxels as a separate model and then convert just that portion to surface mode ghosted so that you can get the desired visual feedback.  Might not be absolutely perfect, but it should be doable, and provide the desired visual feedback.

Maybe a similar sort of workaround could lead to the development of something similar to ZB polygroups as well...

• Advanced Member

You would have to ask Andrew.  The technique I think you're suggesting sounds like being in Voxel Mode, but it going into a form of Surface Mode, selecting what you want, and then converting it back to Voxel Mode.

You would have to ask Andrew.  The technique I think you're suggesting sounds like being in Voxel Mode, but it going into a form of Surface Mode, selecting what you want, and then converting it back to Voxel Mode.

More or less... except that converting back would only be necessary if sculpting the ghosted portion were desired... else the original portion could just be re-joined after sculpting the non-ghosted portion.