3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Merging a model with self intersections

Ghastly

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to merge a model but keep getting the self intersection error, but the only way to remove the self intersections is in the voxel menu after the object has been merged. I seem to be at a catch 22. Is there a way to merge an object with self intersections? I'm not going to be doing any boolean functions on it.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm trying to merge a model but keep getting the self intersection error, but the only way to remove the self intersections is in the voxel menu after the object has been merged. I seem to be at a catch 22. Is there a way to merge an object with self intersections? I'm not going to be doing any boolean functions on it.

Can you check "Merge to separate instances?" to avoid merging meshes together. Surface mode was never really designed to be a boolean type of platform. It was just a means to overcome the tradeoffs that Voxel Sculpting present....mainly performance. Later on, Andrew added some cutting and boolean operations to Surface mode, but it's never been it's strong suit. I wish Andrew would visit this some more, because it does become a PITA anytime I want to merge objects in Surface mode. But, when possible, try to use Voxel mode for that....or leave the objects on separate layers

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I don't see the Merge to Separate Instances.

I have Merge to Separate Volumes though, but even with that checked I still get the error that it cannot merge the volume because there are self insertions. The irony is I don't even want to do any boolean operations on this mesh. I just want to merge it as a surface in the voxel room.

I can load the mesh fine into the retopo room but I don't know how to move it from there to the voxel room.

• Reputable Contributor

Switch the layer to Voxel mode > then you will see "Merge to Separate Instances." If you really want it to come in as a surface mode mesh, check merge without voxelizing. Not sure why that option isn't there with a layer in Surface mode. Might be a good idea to send the file to Andrew and explain the problem. Not sure why it would try to merge them together if you chose "Merge to separate volumes"

140486038746.jpg