3DCoat Forums

Interesting news

Psmith

3D-Coat Feature Videos Updated Regularly

Here is a site dedicated to keeping up to date with Alpha/Beta improvements. All videos are relatively small and stream quickly. I hope you like them.

Watch Videos Here:

3D-Coat Alpha Videos

Psmith

Edit: I didn't see a category that really fit this post, so forgive me for posting it here. I also posted it under "Volumetric WIP's", but that doesn't really fit, either. Feel free to move this.

• Advanced Member

Hearing you "brag" about voxel sculpting never gets old. :D Its not the greatest hand ever sculpted but it shows whats possible in a short amount of time without any prework. No zspheres with all their meshing problems and low level tweaking before becoming usable. No importing a basemesh that you first have to polymodel in some other package. Voxel sculpting is pretty sweet ain it? But i forget; you allready know all that. ;)

I learned a nice thing too. How to move the sphere's in screenspace. I tried to find it in the menu the same way you could with merge. Where you could enable/disable the transforms you wanted. And you dont have that under the curve menu. Clicking the center is always uniform scale. But now i know i can just click inside the circle but offcenter to move in screenspace! Very nice. Thanks alot. :)

The only thing i really miss on the transform gizmo (in all the places they are used) is planar controls. A little square at the extents of the gizmo that allows you to move in the xy plane for example. I could really use that. :)

3dioot

Many Wishes Granted

I just noticed that many of my requests were "made real" in this last update, (October 7, 2008), but not obviously.

First of all, I could not believe the performance boost I was getting in all areas of voxel sculpting, even on my very low powered laptop. I have been assuming, because of my first experiences with the alpha, that my machine was just too slow to work with the resolution of the initial sphere, especially with my favorite tool, the move tool. To my surprise, working with this sphere was fast and much smoother. Unbelievable!

And, as if that was not sufficient, the "Clear" tool not only clears the screen of all geometry, (including that high resolution sphere), but introduces a smaller, lower resolution one in its place, already centered on the axis of symmetry. And sculpting this one is lightning fast with all tools.

The universal "Smooth" tool does a fine job over the entire mesh and can be used in multiple passes.

The "Skin" shader is fantastic.

The fill tool behaves like a "super" smoothing/filling tool - really nice.

Try the new "Knife" tool with a very high "depth" setting and the hard-edged "circle" alpha shape.

"Airbrush" does surprising things with an alpha shape like one of the "dot" alphas. (You want skin pores?)

This release is so entirely stable and functional and fast that I am beside myself. And all this on a cheap, Compaq, 32 bit dual core processor with a flimsy Nvidia graphics card with 128 megs of shared memory, and only 1 gig of RAM. Stupendous!

Thank you Andrew!

Psmith

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

There is a new article post in nVidia Developer website.

It's James Olick from id talking about the new technology used in their idTech 5 engine.

What Andrew may be interested in is that their new render engine is voxel based!!

direct link to the pdf: http://s08.idav.ucdavis.edu/olick-current-...sm-in-games.pdf

cheers,

akira.