3DCoat Forums

Split tool

AlphaGrunt

Two easy ones for you pros

1) I split my model (in voxel room) so that I can have part of my model more dense than the rest. How do I then combine the two without a crazy seam? Or is this just how it is and I have to try and manually smooth the two parts back together? 

2) My "options" tab is gone? How do I get it back? The one where you can set the jitter in a brush etc

Hey AlphaGrunt. :)

1) Make sure you're using surface mode in the Sculpt Room, voxels will just increase the resolution, or you'll need to find some middle ground for the resolution that is between the high and the low res layers. Surface will automatically "mesh" them together, if you will, creating as much geometry as needed dynamically. If there is a seam, then you might need to smooth it, but it depends on how different the two areas where they once were connected are to each other, compared to before. You might not need to do much at all to it. Though I suspect some smoothing and maybe even some reduction needed for those areas.

2) Windows>Popups> Brush Options (if you're using any build since 4.1.17, which I highly recommend upgrading to if you have not yet. :) )

Hi and thank you for the help Javis.

1) I completely understand what you're saying about using surface mode rather than voxel mode for this purpose. Probably the number one reason I avoid surface mode (aside from voxels being awesome) is that the smooth brush completely stinks in surface mode compared to voxel mode :/  Here is an example and if it doesn't work the same for you I'll make a video but I've made a post about this before.

Open the bust, increase resolution and add a texture, go to surface mode and smooth it all back out with the smooth brush. Now go back to voxels and smooth HALF the bust with the smooth brush again. See the difference?

2) I've updated and I do see the brush & strokes option I was looking for thank you! On a related note I have two gtx 780s should I be using open GL or direct x? I understand how to bounce between the options I just need to know which I should be using?

Glad to help. :)

1) It's not the smoothing in surface mode that stinks, it's a matter of knowing how it will react and how the tools work in that mode. I've read on your surface mode problems and one of the people I'm tutoring is encountering this very issue. The easiest way to solve these types of things is to check the wireframe to make sure that you have just the right amount of polygons in that area. If you have too many, the smoothing will appear weak, if you have too little, the smoothing will appear too strong and create "banding" of sorts, and huge loss of detail. Also generally any kind of low level banding that you're seeing (as in your other thread screenshots), most likely wont show up in the bake. It also takes practice, practice and more practice. Over time you'll get accustomed to how it works. That is, if you want to use it. :) A lot o stuff you may just not even need surface mode for, but in this case, it's one that you do need surface mode.

2) Avoid the GL version like the black death, it's generally unstable. I would use the DX version.