3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] 3d Coat freezes system on UV Unwrap with specific piece of geometry (OSX)

Hey everyone,

I'm having a weird issue with UV unwrap: I made a model but one of the pieces of its geometry freezes the system, no matter if I do auto-mapping, unwrap after defining seams or anything else. After I press Unwrap the beach ball appears, then if I force quit the 3d Coat the beach ball freezes as the system.

The weird things are that the geometry looks absolutely okay to me and that I haven't experienced system freezes in years: I guess something completely out of hand is going on. Any other software I tried unwrap the model without problems.

Console seems to be empty of any messages.

4.1.16 (GL64) Educational

10.9.5 on MBPr

the model is attached. 

Thanks for any help!

test.obj

Hi

Send the model and related questions to Andrew Shpagin at
support@3d-coat.com

The model have 4ngons, but thats not the problem

post-10142-0-89749600-1415274590_thumb.j

At import 3DC create an internal wall face at local symmetry joining both sides

post-10142-0-10646100-1415274667_thumb.j

model cleaned

test2.obj

note:

what if you try to import another file format ?

Thanks, Carlosan!

You're right, the model has faults: I checked once more time and found loose vertices here and there on other parts of geometry. I've tried other file formats but the problem persisted. Your cleaned file worked just fine however.

My pipeline implies loose 3d and 2d overpaint later on so I'm alright with bad geometry as long as it looks alright, but it seems that 3d Coat is picky to quality of geometry, am I right? Do you think it's a good idea to send the whole model to Andrew anyway to check it out? Because probably hanging the system because of the bad geometry wasn't intentional

Thanks again,

Sergey.

So, the reason everything freezes is that new unwrap algorithm is sensitive specifically to non manifold polygons. Andrew said they'll fix that, but until then it's a good idea to look out for those nasty little things.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by kritskiy