3DCoat Forums

Replace mesh but keep texture?

TomHoen

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Hi,

I textured a model and imported it into Unity. There I noticed that one polygon had issues and I had to redo couple of polygons in Blender. Now is it possible to use my finished texture in this new updated model? Somehow just replace the broken model with updated one and keep the texture with adjusting couple of UV areas?

Thanks,

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Try the Texture Baking Tool under the Textures menu in the Paint room.

Have the bad polygon model you textured in the paint room.

Now use the Texture Baking Tool

In the input section "Mesh to Bake to" navigate to your fixed model (with the uv set) and select it. Do not check "use current low-poly mesh only"

The rest of the input and output sections are fairly straight forward... 

A few things missing in the tool is that you cannot put the roughness map in the alpha channel of metalness map. I think you can use Photoshop to do that if you are using the metalness workflow in Unity. I could be wrong on that, I have not tried it myself.

Andrew has not visited this tool in quite awhile and the outputs need to updated for the PBR workflow.

The might not work perfectly and could require some clean up. You will just have to test. Please post back here your results, that will help others in future.

post-518-0-47301800-1446493366_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

To go with my above post.

Link to a tutorial video. It is three years old but should be good in most areas as Andrew has not changed it much.

3DC's YouTube Navigation tutorial to help you quickly find available help through 3DC's YouTube channel.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Last but not least to my other postings, a tutorial on placing maps into a alpha channel of an image. This should work for placing the roughness into the alpha channel of the metalness map for the metallic Unity 5 workflow.  A workaround till Andrew updates the Texture Baking tool..

Just in case anyone gets confused, In 3DC we have the option to place the roughness map into the alpha channel of the metalness map but not in the Texture Baking Tool as of yet.. I did post about it on the beta forum so hopefully it gets put in the do-to list...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Thank you digman!

It works now. Yesterday I watched that 'texture baking tool' video but appareantly missed some points. I'm really liking 3D coat more and more everyday.

One thing that I missed from video was that I have to import the texture as it doesn't automatically show up.

To  continue my previous post:

One thing that I realized yesterday evening was that I could have edited the UV in blender and keep the original texture and export layers to photoshop and keep editing them.

Anyway learned how to use 3D coat for this.