3DCoat Forums

Groups Blend mode renders group Opaque?

• Advanced Member

So I have a group with two layers (both layers blend mode is set to Multiply)  The group blend mode overrides the individual layer blend modes.

Is this by design or a bug?  I can't find a reason you'd want it to be like this.

Desired result would be for the Group Layer be set to "Pass Through" as it is in Photoshop.  The group layer thus having no effect unless required.

Just another o.O 3DCoat moment.

The group blend mode overrides the individual layer blend modes.

The group blending mode has priority over child layers and overrides it. 

Ungrouping the objects restores each object's individual blending mode.

This system in 3DC is similar to Krita:

On PS you can use groups to just clean your layer stack and keep blending mode of your layer compositing through all the stack.

In Krita the compositing will happen at first level inside the group, then taking into account the blending mode of the group itself.

Both system have pros and cons. Krita’s way is more predictable according to some artists, compositing-wise.

--------------------------------------

I agree that Pass Through will be a great add -similar to PS-

Layer Groups have a unique blend mode called Pass Through which is only visible when a Layer Group is targeted in the Layers panel.   It allows any adjustment layers, blend modes, advanced blending options, opacity and fill values applied to layers within a Group, to affect layers below the Group in the layers panel.  To restrict the blending of layers to only happen within a Group, change the Layer Group’s blend mode to Normal.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply Carlosan, yes I agree that group blending mode should override all child layers if set to anything other than Pass Through.  It is the lack of the latter mode which breaks the current 3DCoat Groups setup in my humble opinion.