3DCoat Forums

Procedural off button?

Grimm

• Advanced Member

3D-Coat's smart materials are really cool and I have been having loads of fun with them.  :D  Using AO and curve maps gets you a long way but it doesn't take into account use wear patterns.  For example if you are texturing a cup having wear on the bottom and on the edges is good, what gets missed is the wear on the inside of the handle from holding it.  There are times when you don't want the texture to follow AO or the curve map. 

I know that you can always duplicate the texture and remove the conditions but it would be really nice to be able to just temporarily turn it off and use the texture without it.  Does this sound like a good idea or am I missing something?  :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yeah, I understand, but I'm finding that the procedurals are just too limiting for what I want to do.  I'm beginning to split out the layers in each smart material into separate materials and then using them individually to get the effects I want. Then I can place them exactly where I want.  For instance I made three different brass materials and I'm thinking of adding a couple more so it's easy to control the look (dark corroded for cracks and crevices, bright polished for worn spots, etc).  That and I'm finding that some of the models I import into 3D-Coat are making it difficult to generate the curve map correctly.  I'm also having a difficult time generating a good AO map as well. :(

Having a control to temporarily turn off the procedurals would make using the materials much easier I think.  

Edited by Grimm
  • Like 1