3DCoat Forums

What 3D Coat needs and is missing!!! (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Guest Cinnamon

Guest Cinnamon

3D Coat has gotten some great comments, first of all it runs great compared to programs like MudBox 09 which most people are just turned off by it, secondly the interface is more user friendly compared to Zbrush.

The problem with 3D Coat is the following:

- When are we gonna see the final for 3D Coat 3.0 with voxel painting ? Going into beta 334 won't help 3DC get the attention I believe it deserves due to how it runs and it's cost.

- You can't paint bump maps in 3DC

- You can't paint specular, diffuse, transparency, maps together and export each channel seperatly

- Loading 3D meshs causes problems.

• Advanced Member
3D Coat has gotten some great comments, first of all it runs great compared to programs like MudBox 09 which most people are just turned off by it, secondly the interface is more user friendly compared to Zbrush.

The problem with 3D Coat is the following:

- When are we gonna see the final for 3D Coat 3.0 with voxel painting ? Going into beta 334 won't help 3DC get the attention I believe it deserves due to how it runs and it's cost.

- You can't paint bump maps in 3DC

- You can't paint specular, diffuse, transparency, maps together and export each channel seperatly

- Loading 3D meshs causes problems.

I don't quite follow you, 3DC exports color, specular, normalmap, displacement as separate maps when you use file->export model. (?)

You can't paint bump but you can use normal-map which is quicker and more powerful & effective anyway.

Loading meshes - bit of a general statement that, but I have had the odd issue that I've overcome almost always by choosing different options on the load-object screen, or creating a better UV map before importing.

My personal thoughts on what I'd like are more features for the low-poly crowd, architectural instead of organic features for example. I'm not as excited by volumetric sculpting myself but welcome the new feature as I understand once implemented Andrew does want to create some more low-poly tools for us.

Good things come to those who wait :)

• Advanced Member

Wonderful post!

First, 3DCoat is in its alpha stage, Andrew could have kept it for himself without showing it until the beta stage and allow only few people to test it, but that's not how 3DCoat works.

The bad side of this, is that anyone can come here and whine for no reason.

If you have an idea to make 3DCoat jump from its alpha stage to the final stage in a blink, I'm sure Andrew will appreciate the help and take your code.

Otherwise these kind of complaint are useless, disrespectful and quite boring.

Just a reminder, Voxel development start 3 month ago, compare this to other software of its kind...

Everyone knows you need a good topology to render/animate any object.

Why paint the voxels if 3dcoat doesnt even have a native render?

If you ask any pro on the market you will see that the basic workflow is always: model the shape (high poly,voxels), retopologyse, paint texture, render... You need to go to another software for a good proffessional render....

Could you explain yourself a little?

"- You can't paint bump maps in 3DC

- You can't paint specular, diffuse, transparency, maps together and export each channel seperatly"

you mean in voxels right?

because in poly thats the first thing I did when I opened 3DBRUSH first time....

Also I think many softwares today are beeing put on the market too early and are full of bugs. I hope Andrew takes as long as necessary to have a solid/robust software as an oficial VERSION 3...

I'm curious: what area of 3d do you work with?

• Advanced Member
The current non-beta release of 3DC can paint, specular, diffuse, bump map\normal map, transparancies and export each channel individually?

The development of 3dc is actually going faster than many other apps available. I've been waiting about two years for nevercenter to fix some very basic features in silo 2. Silo 2 users would kill to even have a fraction of the updates that 3dc is receiving. And the stability in 3dc is amazing. I can't complain.

• Advanced Member
The current non-beta release of 3DC can paint, specular, diffuse, bump map\normal map, transparancies and export each channel individually?

Cinnamon I dont think you can export transparency in 3d coat, but am shure you can paint with diffuse, specular and normal maps at the same time.

also you can use the displace map texture as bump if you like.

i made a small video http://www.divshare.com/download/5916379-4a9

Basicaly the TRANSPARENCY map is the "LAYER 0" -- Just erase it! (tip:"export all layers colors" or "edit all layers in external editor"; in photoshop eraze "LAYER 0" content; "import all layers colors" or "sync layer with nexterna editor" back to 3DC.)

Your object will display sort of transparent and every color you paint in any of the layers is considered the transparency map.

Dont forget about some interesting layer attributes such as "LOCK LAYER TRANSPARENCY" and "MASK WITH LAYER..." plus actions such as "FREEZE PAINTED PIXELS" or "FREEZE TRANSPARENT PIXELS" under Layers menu.

Example: "ERASE" Layer zero; draw a few grass strokes (a grass material or maybe just a silhouette) and then "LOCK LAYER TRANSPARENCY", now every other spec/color stroke (in the same layer) will only affect the pre-painted grass. Plus you could use this layer as a mask for subsequent Layers -- this way the "Grass Layer" will be the transparency layer for all the others; don't forget to play with "FREEZE PAINTED PIXELS" or "FREEZE TRANSPARENT PIXELS"; (remember to export as a psd!)

(See Test Image attached)

Depending on the material,the DIFFUSE is usually related to specular (or more physically accurate -- to reflection map). If the surface is more regular (very small scale) or wet the rays are scattered/reflected on a more ordered way -- these are the highlights/reflection. If the surface is more irregular (dusty for instance) the rays are scattered on more irregular/diffuse way. (There are some good articles about that on the internet)

The diffuse map is kind of the inverted reflection/specular map and vice versa. you could use one map as the inverse mask for the other. Maybe you could use one layer as colorburn/ darken/ Lighten for other Layer for darkening etc...; you also have parameters for the pen pressure -- "more on bright collor" "less on bright collor" etc...

BUM MAP OR DISPLACEMENT MAPS ARE JUST GRAY SCALE IMAGES!!!!IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU USE IT!!!

post-507-1227622241_thumb.jpg

Guest Cinnamon

Juan Carlos Montes - I have watched the little video, when you are done painting what are the maps that you exported in that video ? I now realized that I can use normal maps as bump maps, sorry about that little beef I made about it in a previous message.

Kadu 3D - I didn't understand your message, sorry !?!?!?!?

I don't own Zbrush or use it either. So I ask some questions cause I probably want to make 3DC my program of choice even at it's current 2.x version.

Juan Carlos Montes - I have watched the little video, when you are done painting what are the maps that you exported in that video ? I now realized that I can use normal maps as bump maps, sorry about that little beef I made about it in a previous message.

Kadu 3D - I didn't understand your message, sorry !?!?!?!?

I don't own Zbrush or use it either. So I ask some questions cause I probably want to make 3DC my program of choice even at it's current 2.x version.

I was just pointing out that you can paint transparencies and etc... see the leaf image, in the right side of the screen capture you can see that I painted alpha and material: bum,color spec...( after erasing the layer zero gray color! -- dont delete the layer!!) I edited and posted a new topic "Transparency workflow in 3DC" maybe its a little easier to understand... Just follow the example and you will be able to paint transparency maps...

post-507-1227630982_thumb.jpg