3DCoat Forums

Volumetric Sculpting, Voxels and Displacement Sculpting Differences?

Paint Guy

• Advanced Member

Q) Can someone please explain to me "Volumetric Painting" in 3DC? What is Voxel Painting and is it better than what ZBrush or Mudbox Uses?

Q) Blender and Modo also allow you to sculpt like ZBrush. What do they use?

Q) Is "Volumetric" Sculpting better than "Displacement" sculpting?

Q) Does ZBrush use "Volumetric: Sculpting or Displacement Sculpting? How about Mudbox?

Sorry for all of the questions but I am confused as to the differences

Currently 3D Coat and Clay Tools are the only programs I know of that use volumetric sculpting.

Displacement sculpting basically moves around the points that you already have in the model. The down side to this is that if you try to push it too far it can cause stretching and distortion in the model. Volumetric sculpting is like working with a cloud of points. You can push/pull them and add/remove them as much as you like, then a mesh of triangles wraps around them in real time. So there is no stretching and you can continue working it as much as you like regardless of the number of points (as far as your computer can handle of course).

That should answer everything I think.

• Advanced Member

Also the voxel scuplting tools behave a bit more consistantly vs scuplting with a polygonal mesh. If you have a mesh with unequally distributed polygons, areas dense with polygons respond differently than areas with fewer polygons. When I use zbrush with a mouse I have adjust my brush settings quite often when I move to different areas of the mesh.

• Advanced Member
Here's something I had done once before when soemone else asked this question. This is something that cannot be done with displacement sculpting due to the stretching of the polygons

http://screencast.com/t/PFQ83jv8h

Well you theoretically you could right if you had an insanely dense mesh...but I think you make the point clear with your video!