3DCoat Forums

Learning to paint in 3DCoat

Mantis

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I want to use 3DCoat for a texturing project, but I got some questions.

-Is there a scattering feature for the airbrush painting tool?

-Can you clear the color of a layer without deleting the layer?

-My paint seems to glow, when I paint with strenght at 1, did I miss something?

-I imported a big mesh in 3DCoat with big mesh feature, but my details seems not as fine as they are in Zbrush, how can I get them as sharp?

Thank you.

-Is there a scattering feature for the airbrush painting tool?

There are jittering settings in pen options - jitter of position, rotation, depth, opacity,...

-Can you clear the color of a layer without deleting the layer?

Eraser.

-My paint seems to glow, when I paint with strenght at 1, did I miss something?

If you paint specularity there is something like glow at the edges because of less specular parts scatter light more.

-I imported a big mesh in 3DCoat with big mesh feature, but my details seems not as fine as they are in Zbrush, how can I get them as sharp?

Set bigger resolution in import dialog for base object (6-8M) or set bigger carcass resolution (but better if it is less 400k)

• Advanced Member

Thank you Andrew, you answered all my questions.

-But for the glowing thing, I don't have any specularity. What is a good lighting setup for 3DCoat? It seems to be related to this.

-Can you change the color of your base material?

-I tried the jittering setting and that's what I was looking for, but the cursor is shaking, that's quite disturbing.

Is there an option to prevent this, or best, to be able to hide the yellow circle while left click is hold down (while painting)?

About scattering, in photoshop you got 2 options who are really good, you can choose to scatter along both axe and you can choose the number of scattering (count setting).

After looking at photoshop brush preset, I saw that you got 2 option, Jitter and Scatter here are both (full)description from help file.

Scatter and Control Specifies how brush marks are distributed in a stroke. When Both Axes is selected, brush marks are distributed in a radial direction. When Both Axes is deselected, brush marks are distributed perpendicular to the stroke path.

To specify the maximum percentage of scattering, enter a value. To specify how you want to control the scattering variance of brush marks, choose an option from the Control pop‑up menu:

Off Specifies no control over the scattering variance of brush marks.

Fade Fades the scattering of brush marks from maximum scattering to no scattering in the specified number of steps.

Pen Pressure, Pen Tilt, Stylus Wheel, Rotation Varies the scattering of brush marks based on the pen pressure, pen tilt, position of the pen thumbwheel, or rotation of the pen.

Count Specifies the number of brush marks applied at each spacing interval.

Note: If you increase the count without increasing the spacing or scattering values, painting performance may decrease.

Count Jitter and Control Specifies how the number of brush marks varies for each spacing interval. To specify the maximum percentage of brush marks applied at each spacing interval, enter a value. To specify how you want to control the count variance of brush marks, choose an option from the Control pop‑up menu:

Off Specifies no control over the count variance of brush marks.

Fade Fades the number of brush marks from the Count value to 1 in the specified number of steps.

Pen Pressure, Pen Tilt, Stylus Wheel, Rotation Varies the number of brush marks based on the pen pressure, pen tilt, position of the pen thumbwheel, or rotation of the pen.

-But for the glowing thing, I don't have any specularity. What is a good lighting setup for 3DCoat? It seems to be related to this.

Please show how glow looks.

-Can you change the color of your base material?

Celect color and press 'Ins'

-I tried the jittering setting and that's what I was looking for, but the cursor is shaking, that's quite disturbing.

Try to press CAPS LOCK

• Advanced Member

Thank you for your answers.

Here is the picture of "glowing", you can see that the color on the model seems to glow, I set my light pretty low.

post-783-1228938064_thumb.jpg

An other question, I saw that you can project a photography with Materials feature, but are you able to deform it to fit to your model, afterward and how do you do it?

I mean like in this Zbrush tutorial http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=33715

Thanks once again.

• Advanced Member
An other question, I saw that you can project a photography with Materials feature, but are you able to deform it to fit to your model, afterward and how do you do it?

Kinda. But not probably how you mean. You can scale, rotate, and move your material 'plane', but you cannot deform it similar to zbrush's

grid-like capability.

Andrew had talked a bit about this awhile ago (or making the ability to 'Liquify' your material somewhat like Photoshop's filter) and if I recall

he had said it was on the list of implementation, but I think it got delayed with all the voxel excitement (understandably).

I'd really like to see a zbrush-grid-like distortion capability or even photoshop-liquify (think it's pretty close to the same thing, but PS's grid

is much smaller) in the future too...especially when Andrew implements the ability to paint on imported geometry at it's native resolution

(unsmoothed instead of the current means of painting on lowpoly objects).

At least now you can set a projection, take it into Photoshop CS2 or greater, and use the liquify filter on your texture, then save it back

to 3dc ... ;)

• Advanced Member
Kinda. But not probably how you mean. You can scale, rotate, and move your material 'plane', but you cannot deform it similar to zbrush's

grid-like capability.

Andrew had talked a bit about this awhile ago (or making the ability to 'Liquify' your material somewhat like Photoshop's filter) and if I recall

he had said it was on the list of implementation, but I think it got delayed with all the voxel excitement (understandably).

I'd really like to see a zbrush-grid-like distortion capability or even photoshop-liquify (think it's pretty close to the same thing, but PS's grid

is much smaller) in the future too...especially when Andrew implements the ability to paint on imported geometry at it's native resolution

(unsmoothed instead of the current means of painting on lowpoly objects).

At least now you can set a projection, take it into Photoshop CS2 or greater, and use the liquify filter on your texture, then save it back

to 3dc ... ;)

Thanks, so I'll stick with photoshop and Zapplink :)