3DCoat Forums

Low Poly Mesh > UVs > PolyPaint

Ridnic

Hi Guys,

Glad to join you here! I just spend my first few days doing tutorials and getting used to the program.
Personally I work as a 3D Artist with Cinema4D und ZBrush and I have been looking for some good UV/Texture solution for some time and finally made my decision.

What I am struggling with right now is some kind of workflow issue I guess.

All I want to do is take my Model from Cinema4D, create UVs in 3D Coat and paint it within PBR Materials.

But it seems there is some weird Phong Shading and/or the curvature Map that is generated doesnt work well. Same goes for the AO generation.
I got a picture of the Model in Cinema4D and the second has a Smart Material applied after Quick n Dirty UVs from Autoseam > Unwrap.

When I looked for that kind of problem I did not find any solution. I dont want to sculpt on it first either.

How can I get my edges to be treated as such and smart materials to work properly on imported low poly models?

Best regards,
Ridnic

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-08 um 17.46.58.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-07-08 um 17.51.27.png

Okay, so after a lot of try and Error I found at least a way. 

When calculating a curvature Map the normals/edge detection doesnt seem to be the most important factor. 
Maybe that was my mistake. Assuming that it would work this way.

The Topology is key here. I used edge loops around the edges i wanted to have crisp. Similar to having a "smoothing" Object such as Dynamic Subdivision in ZBrush.

With those loops the Cavity and AO Map generation was very clean.

I was hoping to be able to use Low Poly Meshes. With those Loops it gets more dense :(

Searching for Smooth groups equivalent, i found this post

Phong smoothing angle is just an automated way to break phong edges (literally this is all it does), so it's a little easier than manually selecting edges and breaking them that is all.

You don't have the same workflow in Cinema, but you can do this in a semi automated way using he "Phong Break Selection" tool in Cinema to select the edges based on whatever angle you want and then just breaking them.

Hope this help

Lil Update:
I opened the exported OBJ File in Rhino, Blender an Cinema4D.
All showed the Object perfectly. In Cinema4D itself, the imported Object had a Normal Tag applied.

Maybe that helps in some way.

Edited by Ridnic

Now i tried the OBJ Exporter riptide, a special OBJ PlugIn for Cinema4D, but the problem remains.

I am starting to think that this is a 3D Coat problem :S.

I feels sad, because I cannot do, what I bought this program for. I wanna get started sooooo badly and I really like 3D Coat :(.